TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi, when applying to a US firm and discussing a commercial news story/ issue - does it make sense to talk about US-specific updates in the commercial world or UK-specific? (say for eg interest rates)
I would talk about UK specific since you are applying to the London office. You can only mention the US offices as an example of the international aspect of the firm highlighting how you are excited at the chance of collaborating with lawyers abroad and working on international deals. However, for anything else, I would stick to the London market.

CarolineC

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 23, 2019
Hi all!

For anyone who completed A&O AC - how did you find the experience? Once you start the interview, was it possible to have any other windows/documents (e.g. word doc) open for notes during your written case study? Also, is the Trainee Q&A in a group setting with all other candidates?

Reactions: cheriekmak

Amjaya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2023
I attended one of the workshops last week and they said they received more applications than ever for it. To the point where they could only offer 1 in 4 applicants.

I would recommend applying definitely.
Omg that’s crazy! What was said on the day if you don’t mind sharing. Any tips for applications and I know most of what they require of you can be found online through research but is there anything you could advise that would make my application somewhat decent. Thank you

legaleagle2000

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 5, 2020
Hi all, if anyone has the CC video interview, do they know what is meant by the first question? Strange how its referring to region and not sure how someone would be able to answer that one:
Question 1: What have you done to learn about Clifford Chance in the region, and why do you want to be a Clifford Chance lawyer in particular in the region?
Just asking about this one again, they’re referring to London but does anyone know how to go about when answering this?

estimur

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023
Omg that’s crazy! What was said on the day if you don’t mind sharing. Any tips for applications and I know most of what they require of you can be found online through research but is there anything you could advise that would make my application somewhat decent. Thank you
The presentation on the application was covering the standard stuff- The why law? Why Freshfields?… structure is recommended.

The most useful bits were the reasoning / interview prep exercises. Their Early careers team seem absolutely lovely so it was a joy to meet them too.

Reactions: Amjaya

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.