Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How to answer this question? I've launched my own business. Should I write about that? Please help me out.

"Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit."
Yes, you can talk about your own business for this question.

LB24

Valued Member
Sep 26, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker, how would you go about structuring an answer to this type of question, I’m struggling a bit with it:

“Choose a recent news article or a current social issue that interests you. Provide a detailed analysis of the various perspectives, arguments, and potential implications related to this topic.”

Reactions: axelbeugre

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
"Provide an example of a change in society, the economy, or in a market sector which interests you and which you think could impact the legal sector. Discuss the impact it has had or could have."

"Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders in this situation and what are the implications for those concerned?"

I wanted to understand how these 2 questions are different and how I could go about answering them. This is Goodwin app @axelbeugre

I'm assuming the key difference is the first one is asking for a generic/ broad trend and the second is specific to a particular commercial issue (my confusion with them is that - the second Q also seems pretty broad - just w/o the "legal sector" aspect). Would appreciate some clarity! Thank you :)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
How to answer this question? I've launched my own business. Should I write about that? Please help me out.

"Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit."
It seems to me that since you have your own business this is exactly what could be able to answer the question and show your entrepreneurial mindset. Although showing strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit is not only building a business, if you do have a business on the side like you, it perfectly shows these values and it is impressive indeed.

The way I would structure the answer is by showing how you came up with the idea in the first place, how you approached the strategy stage of your idea and finally how you used innovative thinking to build something different in your business which also differentiates you and your business from the competitors in the market (if any).

I would also link these innovative thinking skills developed through building your own business with becoming a successful lawyer at the firm since you will be able to display this skillset and make the most of it in the role (this could be one sentence only at the end of the answer).

Good luck with the application and congratulations for building your own business, this is super impressive and I am sure it will impress the graduate recruitment too!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Samridhi Jain

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When filling the work experience section, would you suggest linking it back to how it could help at the firm or only describing skills/ resp? @Jessica Booker
No need to link it back to the firm unless the application form is explicitly asking you to do this. Just focus on your responsibilities and impact. You obviously may want to prioritise any responsibilities that link back to the firm, but you don’t have to explain why they do - it will be obvious to your reader.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker, how would you go about structuring an answer to this type of question, I’m struggling a bit with it:

“Choose a recent news article or a current social issue that interests you. Provide a detailed analysis of the various perspectives, arguments, and potential implications related to this topic.”
Hey @LB24,

The way I would personally go about it is:
  1. Introducing the commercial issue or social issue I decided to talk about, this could be whatever you are interested in. Here it is fundamental to choose something you are very passionate about since you have to discuss it thoroughly and because you might be asked to dive deeper into it during interviews. In providing a brief summary of the issue I would add why it is significant to society or to the commercial world and why it is important in your own opinion. This will show critical thinking which I am assuming is one of the key skills they are looking for here.
  2. Identifying the key players is the following step. After you have done a brief introduction, it is fundamental to discuss who are the key players in this, who is causing what? who is suffering from what? who is benefiting from what? what are the causes of this specific event? All these things should be discussed here to give the reader a direction as to who this topic is affecting the most.
  3. Discussing the overarching argument around the topic. This is a fundamental part of the answer. Here in fact, it will be necessary to talk about the general debates about the issue at hand and how they come together, points of strengths and weaknesses for both or multiple positions and if they have some points in common or not.
  4. Concluding with the implications of this issue on society, the commercial world/legal sector and including one or two sentences on the implications for the law firm you are applying specifically. This is something of major importance. In fact, I always include a sentence or two related to the firm to show I can critically identify the negative or positive consequences of an event on the legal and on the law firm (showing you are interested in them and you also have done your research). In my Goodwin application, I discussed about the transition to net zero and how this will impact oil companies and how law firms and Goodwin specifically will be at the forefront of technological innovation to understand how to implement ESG considerations in future business deals in the oil industry.
I hope this helps and good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
"Provide an example of a change in society, the economy, or in a market sector which interests you and which you think could impact the legal sector. Discuss the impact it has had or could have."

"Identify a current commercial issue which has attracted your attention recently. Why do you consider it to be significant? Who are the key stakeholders in this situation and what are the implications for those concerned?"

I wanted to understand how these 2 questions are different and how I could go about answering them. This is Goodwin app @axelbeugre

I'm assuming the key difference is the first one is asking for a generic/ broad trend and the second is specific to a particular commercial issue (my confusion with them is that - the second Q also seems pretty broad - just w/o the "legal sector" aspect). Would appreciate some clarity! Thank you :)
Hey @Samridhi Jain,

The two questions seem pretty similar and I was very confused too when I was applying but the way I tackled them was:

• In the first one I discussed the transition to net zero and how it is unfair to put the burden on developing countries (which was something I was passionate about and studying during my master) and I highlighted that in the why it was interesting to me. I think that this question is potentially asking you to think a little bit outside the box and discuss you personally are very passionate about and you would not mind discussing in an interview for instance. It is a way to understand the way you think and to know more about you so I would say to be extremely genuine here and discuss something you are interested in.
  • In the second one, it is important to discuss about a commercial topic specifically. Here I discussed about the discrepancy between U.S. and E.U. subsidies for green technology. The US subsidies were alarming the great European capitals and more start-ups and firms were deciding to relocate from their European birth place to the United States because of the economic benefits that the US offers for green technology firms. I would say that here it is required of you to show your commercial awareness and your interest in the business world, specifically in the areas that Goodwin thrives in, so technology, life sciences, private equity, start-ups and emerging companies, funds and real estate.
I hope that helps and good luck in submitting the application today!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi guys!

Do you have a list of law firms that do not require any kind of test?
I personally do not but from my experience last year: Sidley Austin, Sullivan & Cromwell, Cleary Gottlieb, Goodwin Procter, Gibson Dunn, Davis Polk i think. These are some of the US firms that, if successful at application stage, will immediately invite you to the interview stage.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
Hey @Samridhi Jain,

The two questions seem pretty similar and I was very confused too when I was applying but the way I tackled them was:

• In the first one I discussed the transition to net zero and how it is unfair to put the burden on developing countries (which was something I was passionate about and studying during my master) and I highlighted that in the why it was interesting to me. I think that this question is potentially asking you to think a little bit outside the box and discuss you personally are very passionate about and you would not mind discussing in an interview for instance. It is a way to understand the way you think and to know more about you so I would say to be extremely genuine here and discuss something you are interested in.
  • In the second one, it is important to discuss about a commercial topic specifically. Here I discussed about the discrepancy between U.S. and E.U. subsidies for green technology. The US subsidies were alarming the great European capitals and more start-ups and firms were deciding to relocate from their European birth place to the United States because of the economic benefits that the US offers for green technology firms. I would say that here it is required of you to show your commercial awareness and your interest in the business world, specifically in the areas that Goodwin thrives in, so technology, life sciences, private equity, start-ups and emerging companies, funds and real estate.
I hope that helps and good luck in submitting the application today!
Thank you so much!! This is incredibly useful :)

LB24

Valued Member
Sep 26, 2023
Hey @LB24,

The way I would personally go about it is:
  1. Introducing the commercial issue or social issue I decided to talk about, this could be whatever you are interested in. Here it is fundamental to choose something you are very passionate about since you have to discuss it thoroughly and because you might be asked to dive deeper into it during interviews. In providing a brief summary of the issue I would add why it is significant to society or to the commercial world and why it is important in your own opinion. This will show critical thinking which I am assuming is one of the key skills they are looking for here.
  2. Identifying the key players is the following step. After you have done a brief introduction, it is fundamental to discuss who are the key players in this, who is causing what? who is suffering from what? who is benefiting from what? what are the causes of this specific event? All these things should be discussed here to give the reader a direction as to who this topic is affecting the most.
  3. Discussing the overarching argument around the topic. This is a fundamental part of the answer. Here in fact, it will be necessary to talk about the general debates about the issue at hand and how they come together, points of strengths and weaknesses for both or multiple positions and if they have some points in common or not.
  4. Concluding with the implications of this issue on society, the commercial world/legal sector and including one or two sentences on the implications for the law firm you are applying specifically. This is something of major importance. In fact, I always include a sentence or two related to the firm to show I can critically identify the negative or positive consequences of an event on the legal and on the law firm (showing you are interested in them and you also have done your research). In my Goodwin application, I discussed about the transition to net zero and how this will impact oil companies and how law firms and Goodwin specifically will be at the forefront of technological innovation to understand how to implement ESG considerations in future business deals in the oil industry.
I hope this helps and good luck with the application!
Thanks very much!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.