TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    Just an out of context question but how do you all stay motivated and focused throughout the recruitment cycle? Would love everyone's insights ☺️
    a lesson that ive learned now being in my 2nd cycle is that for me personally, motivation is not a factor when youre kind of approaching the end of the recuitment cycle, I think I try to be disciplined and think about the long term goal when shooting off applications even if I feel like I dont want to. I think the best thing you can do for yourself if youre waiting to hear back for outcomes is actively work and include prep throughout your routine (as if you were tackling a tutorial or a seminar) because you want to think the best outcome for yourself and the way you can do that is preparing for those interviews and ACs. that way, there can be a sense of motivation because youre actively working towards your goal and not down in the trenches thinking the worst possible outcome

as far as post AC rejection goes, I always take time out for myself whatever way it be. for me, I like to reset my space, go out with friends kind of detach for a few days which allows me to put things into perspective and remind myself that there is a reason why it didn't work out that I may not know now, but when im a hot shot lawyer working in my dream office, ill look back and realise why I got rejected, whether it be for growth, to come back as a stronger candidate, etc. someone on this forum actually jus got a TC and the mentality she had that I really reflected on was 'imagine how good it'll feel when that firm that rejected you tries to laterally hire you' and I loved thinking about it that way as well🤣

motivation will fizz out, we're humans, and when that fizzes out, remember of your long term goal and be disciplined in the tasks that you do :)

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    a lesson that ive learned now being in my 2nd cycle is that for me personally, motivation is not a factor when youre kind of approaching the end of the recuitment cycle, I think I try to be disciplined and think about the long term goal when shooting off applications even if I feel like I dont want to. I think the best thing you can do for yourself if youre waiting to hear back for outcomes is actively work and include prep throughout your routine (as if you were tackling a tutorial or a seminar) because you want to think the best outcome for yourself and the way you can do that is preparing for those interviews and ACs. that way, there can be a sense of motivation because youre actively working towards your goal and not down in the trenches thinking the worst possible outcome

as far as post AC rejection goes, I always take time out for myself whatever way it be. for me, I like to reset my space, go out with friends kind of detach for a few days which allows me to put things into perspective and remind myself that there is a reason why it didn't work out that I may not know now, but when im a hot shot lawyer working in my dream office, ill look back and realise why I got rejected, whether it be for growth, to come back as a stronger candidate, etc. someone on this forum actually jus got a TC and the mentality she had that I really reflected on was 'imagine how good it'll feel when that firm that rejected you tries to laterally hire you' and I loved thinking about it that way as well🤣

motivation will fizz out, we're humans, and when that fizzes out, remember of your long term goal and be disciplined in the tasks that you do :)
    Thank you for the great answer. Well that mentality is actually nice😂😂😂

Reactions: Jessica Booker

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Just an out of context question but how do you all stay motivated and focused throughout the recruitment cycle? Would love everyone's insights ☺️
    If I do not do it, nobody else is going to do it. I explain myself: I have come to the sad realisation that I am a grown person, an adult, my family and friends can offer words of support, but in the end, it is up to me to understand how I can improve. Sometimes I am sad and demotivated, I allow myself to have a dark day but then I remember that I am responsible for my own dreams, I define my life and my career. It is important to have a good environment around you, I recently decided to cut off a couple of people from my life just for the sake of my mental health and creating a supporting bubble. It is also important to have dreams, but dreams without goals are nothing. Let's keep pushing and if someone wants to create a group to draft direct tc apps let me know.

Solicitorinthemaking

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 9, 2023

This has given me my motivation back! Thank you. Very well said. :)

• Love
    Reactions: mfuturetrainee

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    If I do not do it, nobody else is going to do it. I explain myself: I have come to the sad realisation that I am a grown person, an adult, my family and friends can offer words of support, but in the end, it is up to me to understand how I can improve. Sometimes I am sad and demotivated, I allow myself to have a dark day but then I remember that I am responsible for my own dreams, I define my life and my career. It is important to have a good environment around you, I recently decided to cut off a couple of people from my life just for the sake of my mental health and creating a supporting bubble. It is also important to have dreams, but dreams without goals are nothing. Let's keep pushing and if someone wants to create a group to draft direct tc apps let me know.
    I'm interested to have a WhatsApp group for the same.🤚🏻

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Your post reminded me of a famous Denzel Washington quote - “To achieve something you have never achieved, you must do something you have never done before”

I also like the idea of a group for direct tc apps. Would be great to exchange ideas and lend a supporting hand to each other in this difficult process.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Your post reminded me of a famous Denzel Washington quote - “To achieve something you have never achieved, you must do something you have never done before”

I also like the idea of a group for direct tc apps. Would be great to exchange ideas and lend a supporting hand to each other in this difficult process.
    My brother, it is Denzel indeed!

app03

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Hi, would appreciate any insight into how to approach 'why commercial law?' in interviews. Having already answered this question in the written application, how should I go about expanding on this? Should I mention more reasons that, say, I didn't put in my written application?

Reactions: sxw517

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi, would appreciate any insight into how to approach 'why commercial law?' in interviews. Having already answered this question in the written application, how should I go about expanding on this? Should I mention more reasons that, say, I didn't put in my written application?
    Usually, people who interview you do not read your applications. Ergo, you can repeat (with small amendments in my opinion) your written answer.

Reactions: app03

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Thank you! Although the GR did mention that the interviewers would have already read my application before the interview.
    Then, I would suggest making small changes just to show variety and that you did not memorise your app. Just be structured by having 3 points in yous answer!

Reactions: app03

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I try to keep my focus on the ultimate goal as much as possible. While I'm not a strong advocate for manifestation or similar concepts, I firmly believe that desire, a persistent effort and the bit between one’s teeth, often leads to success.

Admittedly, having faced rejection post-AC on occasions, achieving the goal can often seem like a million miles away. However, I try to recognise that each step taken and every lesson learned brings me closer to where I want to be.

Honestly, maintaining motivation through my second cycle has been challenging, especially when the prospect of going through it all over again for a third time, alongside a full-time job, makes me a bit uneasy. Yet, I find inspiration from other users on here bouncing back and getting that coveted TC.

You can do it!

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    "Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max)"

Should I relate it to commercial law, Baker Mckenzie or law? Can I write about my passion for cooking here?
    yes! talk about anything but make sure you focus on why it excites or inspires you (I say this because before I got my app reviewed I lowkey went off on a tangent) so talk about anything, no need to relate it to commercial law, BM or law

Reactions: Shreya Verma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    "Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max)"

Should I relate it to commercial law, Baker Mckenzie or law? Can I write about my passion for cooking here?
    No need to connect it to law, the firm or commercial aspects. Should be something that true inspires and excites you. Heard everything from Manga comics to architecture from certain historical periods, the particular charities, to an obsession with a sports team.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.