TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Me ignoring my weekend tasks to read the annual TCLA D&I debate - It's becoming a tradition at this point....

reading read GIF

Edit: I don't mean to undermine anyone's points but it's really interesting that this happens every year and always gets out of hand. Thank God @Jessica Booker helps moderate the discussion because God knows how far it will go

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    *Describe three of your key strengths that will assist you in a career as a commercial lawyer and explain how you have developed them.*

While answering this question, how should I explain the development part? I only have particular examples to showcase them but not sure how to explain the development process.🤔

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    *Describe three of your key strengths that will assist you in a career as a commercial lawyer and explain how you have developed them.*

While answering this question, how should I explain the development part? I only have particular examples to showcase them but not sure how to explain the development process.🤔
    From my experience, the development part just means the examples like you've correctly identified. They're just making sure that you put emphasis on how those skills have been cultivated through your own experience.

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    @Jessica Booker As someone who hasn't done a VS, how much more difficult will it make securing a TC through a direct application as a finalist?

I do have a fair amount of legal work experience, just nothing directly related to commercial law. The closest I have is 2 weeks working in-house at a bank.

zdzd

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 30, 2022
    @Jessica Booker As someone who hasn't done a VS, how much more difficult will it make securing a TC through a direct application as a finalist?

I do have a fair amount of legal work experience, just nothing directly related to commercial law. The closest I have is 2 weeks working in-house at a bank.
    Obligatory I’m not Jess, but I’d imagine it depends on the firm. Some recruit purely from, or prioritise, vac scheme applications and then make up the rest of their intake numbers through direct TC apps if they offer these, whereas others have a pretty even 50/50 split and not having done a vac scheme with them will in no way disadvantage your application. Some don’t do direct TCs at all and you’d have to apply to their VS to be in the running for a TC so it’s essentially one and the same. I think there is a thread somewhere on TCLA distinguishing between which firms use which recruitment methods and in what proportions, will try to find and link :)

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Obligatory I’m not Jess, but I’d imagine it depends on the firm. Some recruit purely from, or prioritise, vac scheme applications and then make up the rest of their intake numbers through direct TC apps if they offer these, whereas others have a pretty even 50/50 split and not having done a vac scheme with them will in no way disadvantage your application. Some don’t do direct TCs at all and you’d have to apply to their VS to be in the running for a TC so it’s essentially one and the same. I think there is a thread somewhere on TCLA distinguishing between which firms use which recruitment methods and in what proportions, will try to find and link :)
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I understand that strategically some firms have a higher percentage intake from direct TC, I just find it hard to imagine a firm offering me a TC without ever having seen me work, or knowing that I've done a VS. I can imagine so many interview questions revolving around that which would be hard to give a convincing answer to. But, I see people have managed to do it.

zdzd

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 30, 2022
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I understand that strategically some firms have a higher percentage intake from direct TC, I just find it hard to imagine a firm offering me a TC without ever having seen me work, or knowing that I've done a VS. I can imagine so many interview questions revolving around that which would be hard to give a convincing answer to. But, I see people have managed to do it.

This thread is from the 2022-23 recruitment cycle but I’d imagine that most of the information there is still pretty up to date. I think certain firms do have stipulations when applying to their TCs that you need some level of legal experience to be eligible, and if not, you’d have to apply to their vac scheme, whereas others don’t require you to have much or any legal experience to be eligible for their TC. I suppose it’s really down to which specific firm you’re hoping to apply to and go from there. For example, I think certain firms like Clifford Chance have entirely done away with vac schemes so you wouldn’t necessarily be expected to have done one with them to apply to their TC. Other firms like Linklaters I believe require you to have some level of legal experience (even if only a couple weeks) to be eligible to apply for their TC. Many don’t necessarily expect you to have any legal experience so long as you can convincingly justify why you want to practice law and specifically why at that firm, which you can explain by showing engagement from having attended Open Days and events such as those hosted by Legal Cheek and AllAboutLaw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I think it is different when you do have legal work experience - and to correct you, you do have commercial legal experience if you have worked in-house at a bank! This is definitely commercial experience!!

As others have pointed out, it is difficult if firms recruit exclusively or predominately from vacation schemes, but many firms don't do this and there will be plenty of firms you can apply to via a direct TC route who will look at your other experiences favourably.

Reactions: Apple

Yulghun

Standard Member
    Dec 5, 2021
    PLEASE offer your tips on how you got to this stage. I will be applying for the summer scheme and anything will be helpful! My dream firm 😭
    Of course! I attended an insight event organised by Freshfields and it helped me to differentiate it from other firms in my personal statement. I frequently referred back to the page about the application process on their website and stuck to the structure they suggest. In terms of WG, I practised on all free tests that are available out there on the internet. There isn't a short cut for this unfortunately, you have to practise to get better at it. Good luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.