TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Yulghun

Standard Member
Dec 5, 2021
PLEASE offer your tips on how you got to this stage. I will be applying for the summer scheme and anything will be helpful! My dream firm 😭
Of course! I attended an insight event organised by Freshfields and it helped me to differentiate it from other firms in my personal statement. I frequently referred back to the page about the application process on their website and stuck to the structure they suggest. In terms of WG, I practised on all free tests that are available out there on the internet. There isn't a short cut for this unfortunately, you have to practise to get better at it. Good luck!

Queen

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
I think looking back at other years, there are at least 3 batches for WG.

Freshfields did tell @zeyad214 that they will be sending them in the coming days till the end of the month, so I would not lose hope.

There were people in the summer who got the WG right at the end and got AC invites the day after they did the WG. It is all a process and I would say everyone who has not heard back is still in the running in my opinion. Things can change so quickly!
Wednesday here too I think
Hi, I submitted it on Thursday.. is that why we ain’t got the invites yet?

Queen

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
same! hopefully we get a wg.
idk feeling very bummed out that my app wasn’t even good enough for the test stage.
but i’ve realised most often it’s just the mind playing tricks. maybe we are still in the running 🥹
Oh my god I’m just waiting as well, I want to prepared for the next round but I don’t know whether I got in or not

lawstudent23237

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2023
Of course! I attended an insight event organised by Freshfields and it helped me to differentiate it from other firms in my personal statement. I frequently referred back to the page about the application process on their website and stuck to the structure they suggest. In terms of WG, I practised on all free tests that are available out there on the internet. There isn't a short cut for this unfortunately, you have to practise to get better at it. Good luck!
Is this for Freshfields winter TC?

Studyinglaw

Star Member
  • Sep 14, 2022
    Hi, when answering 'why commercial law' in a VI is it okay that I only mention events at firms other than the one the application is for? I don't want it to seem like the answer is being copy pasted from another app and/or that I have not properly researched the firm.

Reactions: NJS and sxw517

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Hi, when answering 'why commercial law' in a VI is it okay that I only mention events at firms other than the one the application is for? I don't want it to seem like the answer is being copy pasted from another app and/or that I have not properly researched the firm.
    I mention an event I attended by HSF in my final year at my uni, in every application, and it has never done me any harm.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Studyinglaw

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Attending a few open days is always part of my story of why commercial law. At a few ACs I've had a partner ask me "why not US firms then" since those are the ones I mentioned, but as long as you can explain why you dont specifically want to work at those firms, but rather how they broadly got you into commercial law, I think they are great to mention.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Studyinglaw and sxw517

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.