TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

Putt5353

Nov 20, 2021
Thank you. Do I just write a paragraph of what I did and how it meets the competency standards?

I’m a bit confused on how much detail/what format to put this in, and how they can put their signature onto it. The SRA haven’t got an official example or form to fill in
There is an example template on the SRA website here which might be a useful starting point

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was not able to obtain a TC at firm A so exploring other firms of similar size and work
You should explain the reason why the TC wasn’t possible and if you received feedback from the firm as to why you personally weren’t suited to a TC at that firm, either how the firm you are now applying to is different or how you have developed that skill/attribute since your internship.

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this but I'm trying to submit my second application review for this month. I know that this means I need to purchase one but I've heard that there is a 25% discount for members - any chance you know where I can find this?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to be asking this but I'm trying to submit my second application review for this month. I know that this means I need to purchase one but I've heard that there is a 25% discount for members - any chance you know where I can find this?

Thanks
Here it is:

IMG_5142.jpeg

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone help me figure out what 'background' exactly refers to:

Please write about your background, work experience, interests and aspirations in no more than 500 words.
Consider it your story or journey - the things that have shaped you to get you to where you are now.

Reactions: Hala_alaqqad

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Any advice on how to feel motivated to do applications again after being rejected for a TC after a vacation scheme at a top law firm.
Don't take it to heart! It's a numbers game sometimes. Take what you can from it - feedback, things to improve on, etc.
I have many friends who got rejected for TC interviews at firms they now work at, after having been hired in laterally. It does not mean you are not 'good enough' for them. It is an achievement to even get a vacation scheme! You are ahead of most.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
Had a question for any current trainees/associates/anyone else who can chime in.

I often read about 'complex legal work' 'innovative legal solutions' on law firm websites / online etc. - can anyone actually give concrete examples of what this means?

The impression I get from my research is that some fields (corporate or finance, for example) are pretty much commoditized in terms of the service they offer. Is a 'innovative solution' in this case something like a uniquely negotiated agreement / mechanism that satisfies a less-than-typical business arrangement?

I could see how in advisory or litigation seats you might come across novel or untested points of law, particularly regarding things like data protection, tax, etc., where this a lot of room for argument strategizing (although I thought most of this would be done by a barrister?) - but its less clear to me how it applies to departments like corporate or finance.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    Had a question for any current trainees/associates/anyone else who can chime in.

I often read about 'complex legal work' 'innovative legal solutions' on law firm websites / online etc. - can anyone actually give concrete examples of what this means?

The impression I get from my research is that some fields (corporate or finance, for example) are pretty much commoditized in terms of the service they offer. Is a 'innovative solution' in this case something like a uniquely negotiated agreement / mechanism that satisfies a less-than-typical business arrangement?

I could see how in advisory or litigation seats you might come across novel or untested points of law, particularly regarding things like data protection, tax, etc., where this a lot of room for argument strategizing (although I thought most of this would be done by a barrister?) - but its less clear to me how it applies to departments like corporate or finance.
    Complexity and novelty tend to be how a deal is structured and how the finance is raised. You are right that many deals are commoditised, however there are several arrangements that have never been done before or have to be approached in new ways to deal with a problem that has arisen. If you research deals the firm talks about they often say which part of the deal was the innovative part.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Any advice on how to feel motivated to do applications again after being rejected for a TC after a vacation scheme at a top law firm.
    Hey @barbara, I totally sympathise with what you are feeling right now. Applying to get a TC is extremely difficult and not many people talk about how stressful it is to apply and be rejected. What I think can be helpful is:

• Always have your WHY in mind: What helped me during my application cycle last year was remembering why I wanted to become a lawyer in the first place. We tend to forget it when we are in the swing of things and we are applying to some many firms/experiences, but it is important to remember why you are doing it. Whether it is to be more financially stable in life, whether it is to make yourself and your parents proud, or because you enjoy the knowledge the legal sector gives you, it is crucial to keep all these things in mind when you are going through this process.
    • Secondly, always remember that rejection is redirection. If there is anything that this process taught me is that rejection is truly redirection and you will end up at the firm you are supposed to, so always trust the process and never be let down by what you think might be failures. You are learning so much from these failures and they are making you a better person, and ultimately, a better lawyer.
    • Lastly, be confident in your profile. Sometimes it is hard to see how valuable our experiences are but I think it is important to remind yourself of how good your profile is and that someone will be extremely lucky to have you. In your specific case, you have a vacation scheme experience at a top law firm, this is extremely impressive and you should be proud of yourself for that. Some people are not that lucky to be saying they have a vacation scheme!
    Overall, I totally understand how you might be feeling but I would encourage you to always remember your why and always believe in yourself. I know it is easier said than done but once you qualify you will look back at these times and you will be extremely glad to yourself for never given up.
    Good luck with the application cycle!

Reactions: barbara

Pumpkinsoup

Standard Member
    Oct 30, 2023
    hi

If I’m asked during on an interview what my salary expectations are, what do I say?
    I don’t wanna go below 3k a month, ideally 3.5 because that’s what I was making at a similar role before. How would I communicate that?
    This is for a general legal internship, not a VS. @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hi

If I’m asked during on an interview what my salary expectations are, what do I say?
    I don’t wanna go below 3k a month, ideally 3.5 because that’s what I was making at a similar role before. How would I communicate that?
    This is for a general legal internship, not a VS. @Jessica Booker
    Is this outside of the U.K.?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes it’s in mainland Europe
    Ok - I’m not going to know salaries across Europe, so I can’t comment if this is going to be wildly over their expectations. It would be though for most U.K. based internship roles if this was in U.K. sterling.

Has there been any indication of salary in the job advert/job vacancy or have you been able to track down whether your salary expectations are reasonable for the location and the type of employer?

Pumpkinsoup

Standard Member
    Oct 30, 2023
    Ok - I’m not going to know salaries across Europe, so I can’t comment if this is going to be wildly over their expectations. It would be though for most U.K. based internship roles if this was in U.K. sterling.

Has there been any indication of salary in the job advert/job vacancy or have you been able to track down whether your salary expectations are reasonable for the location and the type of employer?
    I think my expectations are fairly standard based on the government issued recommendation that says post bachelor degree internship pay should be 2.7-4K and masters 3.5-5k, depending on degree and market.
    I also know some people that have done internships at big4 companies that were paid 3.5k . I was paid 3.5 at my last internship, a similar company as to the one I am interviewing with (both are finance start-ups w big backing)
    Also starting salaries after the internships are usually around 80-100k.
    I have an interview in two days and I don’t know if I should state my expectations in numbers or give a generic answer like “a fair/reasonable market rate” and wait for them to give me number.
    Also if they don’t ask , should I bring it up or just wait and see?

Edit: the pound and my currency is pretty much 1:1. it maybe makes a 100-200 pounds difference depending on the day.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.