Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone,

Here is the master thread for all general discussions in the 2022-23 cycle. This is often best suited for discussions that do not fit into either the vacation scheme or direct training contract application queries.

Useful links to other threads:
TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for vacation scheme applicants)
TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for direct training contract applicants)
TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1) | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (last cycle's general discussion thread)

Many thanks

Jess

Reactions: Alison C and AvniD

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
Nov 11, 2021
Hi Jessica - I am keen to study my SQE in a different city to the one my law firm is located in, due to living cost reasons. I am planning to have a conversation with the firm about the possibility of this, but before I do was wondering if you have any info about whether firms are usually willing to let you study in a location they are not based in or if this is not possible. Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - I am keen to study my SQE in a different city to the one my law firm is located in, due to living cost reasons. I am planning to have a conversation with the firm about the possibility of this, but before I do was wondering if you have any info about whether firms are usually willing to let you study in a location they are not based in or if this is not possible. Thank you!
If they do not require you to do a specific course that has a defined location, this is likely to not be an issue. It is only if the firm has a preferred supplier and/or bespoke course that they may require you to study in the location that course is run from.

You may find any maintenance grant reflects you are living outside of London though (have known firms to provider different amounts based on this).

Reactions: letmeintolaw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have completed a vacation scheme and my supervisor and the team I was with told me to 'stay in touch'. Is this just a formality or are there practical steps I can take to 'stay in touch'?
It’s a polite expression. If you have anything meaningful to update them about or get in contact with them about, then you can do so.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just a reminder to our premium members, that I will be running one of our office hours on the Premium Chat from 7-8pm this evening if there are any questions you want to ask me.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey guys,

As today's officially the start of my TC with Gibson Dunn which feels very surreal (I'm doing the PSC for 10 days before officially being in the office for my induction from August 30th), I thought I'd come on here and just say a quick thank you to @Jessica Booker and @Jaysen for all the brilliant work they do with TCLA - I definitely wouldn't have got my TC without their help!

I'll still be on here when I can to stay up to date with all things TCLA but just wanted to wish you all the best of luck for this coming application cycle! No doubt it'll be hard and sometimes you'll doubt yourself as to whether you have what it takes but I'd highly recommend using the fantastic community on here to pick yourselves back up and keep pushing forwards as no doubt some good news will be just around the corner - you've all got this :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have accepted a TC offer, but haven't heard anything back for a week since (e.g thank you for accepting, next steps etc). Is this normal, I am stressing about it! 😂
    Yes, that’s very normal. If you haven’t heard anything by the end of this week, just drop your HR/Graduate recruitment contact and ask when you should expect to receive the offer documents and if there is anything you need to provide to help with the process.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How much importance do law firms give to the overall classification of the LPC?
    It's going to depend on some variables, including the individual firm's stance on this, but also the rest of your academic profile and whether you were working whilst completing the course.

Generally, most firms will care more about your undergraduate degree results but say for instance these are fairly "average" then a stronger performance in the LPC (e.g. commendation or distinction) will generally looked upon more favourably.

jennifer

Esteemed Member
    Oct 4, 2020
    Hi,
    I was just wondering if there are any resources to improve the Watson Glaser test :(

I have never successfully passed the test before and I did do some practice test online but there are only limited free resources

Thanks in advance!

Scandi

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    Hi guys! Do you have any recommendations on platforms to apply for paralegal positions? I've tried Google and LinkedIn with varied results. I would especially love to hear the input of @Jessica Booker - if you have the opportunity!

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021
    Does anyone know/can share the term dates for the PGDL at BPP, starting in Sept ‘22?

Thankyou!
    This info is availble on the hub at the moment - including a study planner with all dates - but induction starts w/c 19th September, workshops start w/c 26th September - feel free to message if you need help finding info/want more detail about dates

• 🏆
    Reactions: A.Diane01

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.