TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    This info is availble on the hub at the moment - including a study planner with all dates - but induction starts w/c 19th September, workshops start w/c 26th September - feel free to message if you need help finding info/want more detail about dates
    Thanks very much will definitely message you tomorrow!

I don’t have access to the hub as not enrolled just yet (trying to get a grasp on dates as I’m a current PG student who finishes in Sept), but hoping to get sorted asap

Last edited:
    Reactions: IRO

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey guys,

As today's officially the start of my TC with Gibson Dunn which feels very surreal (I'm doing the PSC for 10 days before officially being in the office for my induction from August 30th), I thought I'd come on here and just say a quick thank you to @Jessica Booker and @Jaysen for all the brilliant work they do with TCLA - I definitely wouldn't have got my TC without their help!

I'll still be on here when I can to stay up to date with all things TCLA but just wanted to wish you all the best of luck for this coming application cycle! No doubt it'll be hard and sometimes you'll doubt yourself as to whether you have what it takes but I'd highly recommend using the fantastic community on here to pick yourselves back up and keep pushing forwards as no doubt some good news will be just around the corner - you've all got this :)
    All the best for your TC @Daniel Boden! You've made some truly invaluable contributions to the community that I'm sure will resonate for a long time ahead 😊

saz a

Star Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jun 29, 2020
    Hey all! I was not too sure where I could ask this question, but I bought the TCLA Premium Bronze membership will is to end next year February. I wanted to be able to access the application database- Is there any way I can cancel this membership and transfer the money onto a Gold membership (which seems more fitted for me) rather than continuing with this plan that does not accommodate to the application database I wanted access to. Can anyone point me to a direction of what I can do. Application season is approaching so I want to resolve this issue, thank you! Screenshot 2022-08-22 at 19.56.46.png

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey all! I was not too sure where I could ask this question, but I bought the TCLA Premium Bronze membership will is to end next year February. I wanted to be able to access the application database- Is there any way I can cancel this membership and transfer the money onto a Gold membership (which seems more fitted for me) rather than continuing with this plan that does not accommodate to the application database I wanted access to. Can anyone point me to a direction of what I can do. Application season is approaching so I want to resolve this issue, thank you! View attachment 4299
    Hi @saz a - I am tagging in @Erin who will be able to look into this for you.

Erin

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Operations
    Jul 13, 2022
    Hey all! I was not too sure where I could ask this question, but I bought the TCLA Premium Bronze membership will is to end next year February. I wanted to be able to access the application database- Is there any way I can cancel this membership and transfer the money onto a Gold membership (which seems more fitted for me) rather than continuing with this plan that does not accommodate to the application database I wanted access to. Can anyone point me to a direction of what I can do. Application season is approaching so I want to resolve this issue, thank you! View attachment 4299
    Hi @saz a, thanks for reaching out! Could you please email [email protected] with all of your details and we will get this sorted out for you 😊

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    • 🏆
    Reactions: S87 and AvniD

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    I'm currently filling out the pre employment screening application form by Agenda. Do internships and vacation schemes (Up to 1 month each) count as being employed and would you include details of those in the Work History?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm currently filling out the pre employment screening application form by Agenda. Do internships and vacation schemes (Up to 1 month each) count as being employed and would you include details of those in the Work History?
    Yes - they will count as employment and should be included.

AKKU

Standard Member
    Aug 14, 2022
    @Jessica Booker Hi, have a quick Q if that is okay. I'm a future trainee at an international firm in London, currently doing the LPC(halfway through) and my firm has a paralegal position open for 6 months, lining up for my Spring start term next year(6 months essentially). When applying, they ask a mandatory Q of salary expectations.

I googled and asked on other forums- the range in London is around 20k-30/35k from the responses received, which is understandable for continuous employment. Would I put that in that box? Or half? I'd like to apply to this role and it would allow me to know my firm more etc, but have no idea what figure to put. I don't want them thinking I am asking for more(or way too less too). As you've worked in GR, I'd appreciate any response to such situations.

Also, if anyone else could also give any insight, particularly future trainees who were in a similar position, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi, have a quick Q if that is okay. I'm a future trainee at an international firm in London, currently doing the LPC(halfway through) and my firm has a paralegal position open for 6 months, lining up for my Spring start term next year(6 months essentially). When applying, they ask a mandatory Q of salary expectations.

I googled and asked on other forums- the range in London is around 20k-30/35k from the responses received, which is understandable for continuous employment. Would I put that in that box? Or half? I'd like to apply to this role and it would allow me to know my firm more etc, but have no idea what figure to put. I don't want them thinking I am asking for more(or way too less too). As you've worked in GR, I'd appreciate any response to such situations.

Also, if anyone else could also give any insight, particularly future trainees who were in a similar position, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks.!
    The figure should be an annual salary equivalent - you don’t need to half it just because it is six months.

I wouldn’t also differentiate continuous employment vs a short term contract - if anything you can receive a slightly higher base salary for short term contracts given you don’t get longer term benefits (eg like annual bonuses).

This is a very basic calculation, but I’d probably go at around 60-70% of the equivalent first year trainee salary unless you can find any more specific details that the firm pays differently. You may also want to consider whether you get paid overtime, and if so reduce that figure (as you’ll actual earning will be much higher).

AKKU

Standard Member
    Aug 14, 2022
    The figure should be an annual salary equivalent - you don’t need to half it just because it is six months.

I wouldn’t also differentiate continuous employment vs a short term contract - if anything you can receive a slightly higher base salary for short term contracts given you don’t get longer term benefits (eg like annual bonuses).

This is a very basic calculation, but I’d probably go at around 60-70% of the equivalent first year trainee salary unless you can find any more specific details that the firm pays differently. You may also want to consider whether you get paid overtime, and if so reduce that figure (as you’ll actual earning will be much higher).
    Thank you- this is very helpful- I was actually going to put something like 18k (or even lower) just to be safe! Though was wondering if that is too low, seems like it is.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you- this is very helpful- I was actually going to put something like 18k (or even lower) just to be safe! Though was wondering if that is too low, seems like it is.
    I think it’s more appropriate to find a market rate for it - unless it’s outside of London or for a non-commercial firm, £18k will be very low - isn’t even Living Wage equivalent.

Reactions: AKKU

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.