TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

gigi123

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 23, 2022
Hey guys- in a bit of a tough spot at the moment and need to vent. I've been in a long-term relationship and have just accepted a training contract based in the central belt of Scotland. My partner has just broken up with me unexpectedly because he can't see us working out long term especially now that I know where I'll be based and he's unsure as to if he wants to live in Scotland long-term. It's a totally valid reason but I'm devastated. The situation has turned my TC from something to celebrate to being the demise of my relationship and I could really use some words of advice from people who have gone through similar situations.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hey guys- in a bit of a tough spot at the moment and need to vent. I've been in a long-term relationship and have just accepted a training contract based in the central belt of Scotland. My partner has just broken up with me unexpectedly because he can't see us working out long term especially now that I know where I'll be based and he's unsure as to if he wants to live in Scotland long-term. It's a totally valid reason but I'm devastated. The situation has turned my TC from something to celebrate to being the demise of my relationship and I could really use some words of advice from people who have gone through similar situations.
Haven't been in this situation but what I can say is this:

You've worked so hard to get that training contract- hours and hours of applications, interview prep, assessment prep etc. You got that Training Contract from your dedication and perseverance- remember that! No one can take away the joy of success from you- not even your boyfriend!

While it is sad that your partner broke up with you unexpectedly and didn't try to see if long distance would work etc, it in a way proves that he wasn't as committed to the relationship as you were because when there's a will, there truly is a way. What's more is that a good partner not only is happy for your success but facilitates it.

You're entering an exciting time of your life with your training contract, something that will truly change your life. With new and exciting chapters, comes change, such as the end of this relationship. Embrace the negatives, and the positives (which will truly outnumber the negatives) and remember this is a part of life and transitions!

Hope this helps :)

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hey, looking for some advice. Didn’t manage to secure anything in the last cycle. I am due to start a paralegal job soon and am keen to carry on applying to training contracts /VS. I was speaking with someone and they made a negative comment about how being a paralegal can reduce your chances of being successful in applications and how easy it is to get stuck. Is this true? I was quite proud of myself for getting this role and thought it could be 1 step closer to a TC! any advise would be greatly appreciated as I’m feeling quite stressed and lost at the minute
    I think people quite often make large generalisations from their own experiences without realising the implications of their comments. I find that a lot of people have this set mindset of: law degree, VS in 2nd year, TC offer, LPC and then straight into the TC - in the real world, people take a multitude of different routes and timescales to get their TC.

While I haven't been a paralegal myself, I would see your new position as an opportunity to learn, grow and network - it's an accomplishment that you should be proud of. Everyone is on their own timeline, so if it's a TC you want, embrace your new role for now, whilst continuing to focus on your TC applications.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Hi! I have an interview for a paralegal role at a US law firm coming up and was wondering whether anyone has had any similar experiences and would be willing to share what sort of questions they typically ask/what areas I should prep for? thank you!

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    Where would everyone recommend studying the LPC- University of Law or BPP? I have seen/ heard negative experiences at both which unsettles me!
    I've decided to go for ULaw because they have locations that are more convenient for me - and my experience at BPP doing the PGDL was not amazing, so I didn't want to rush back there! I've also heard horror stories about both so I just went for the more convenient option for me!

Reactions: Alison C

Stefan33tr

Sep 4, 2022
    Hi Jessica,

I’ve started my SQE studying from home but finding it really mentally challenging due to not being able to meet anyone and I live rurally so don’t really have friends around me either (most moved away). I want to ask my firm if I could defer a year to work/get money to move away from home and into a city.

What do you think a law firm would think of such request? Is there a chance they might rescind my TC offer based on the request alone? Not sure what to do but I’m already struggling and I’ve only just started last week.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I’ve started my SQE studying from home but finding it really mentally challenging due to not being able to meet anyone and I live rurally so don’t really have friends around me either (most moved away). I want to ask my firm if I could defer a year to work/get money to move away from home and into a city.

What do you think a law firm would think of such request? Is there a chance they might rescind my TC offer based on the request alone? Not sure what to do but I’m already struggling and I’ve only just started last week.
    They are highly unlikely to rescind the offer - the worst that is likely to happen is that they say they can’t defer you and then you have to work out what to do.

There are a few things to consider though ahead of speaking to the firm.

1) you have started the SQE course - the firm/or you could therefore find there are costs for deferring at this late stage (as the course has started). You might be able to defer, but this is completely at the course providers discretion (not even the firm’s).

2) The recruitment team maybe concerned that you are making this decision only a week into the course. They therefore may want to explore if this is about the course or more so that you have felt like this before the course started.

3) Are there any other mechanisms/solutions that could help you feel more settled but don’t rely on your deferring? I am not sure how far you are from a major city or town but could you find somewhere to work from that would make you feel a little more connected to others? For instance, I very much get my energy from others, and so despite being fairly rural now and living on my own, I have worked in co-working spaces to ensure I have social interaction with others

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

J.E TCLA

Junior Lawyer
    Sep 2, 2022
    Hi Jessica,

I am currently in the process of interview stages for Paul Hastings. They have said that I would be required to take both the GDL and SQE before starting a TC there, should I be accepted. Since I am only just beginning my third year of a non-law degreee, they have said that I would be able to start in 2025 earliest (didn't specify month) and therefore this factor might hinder my progress during the application stages. I wondered if you knew what a reasonable timeline for completing both the GDL and SQE, since PH are suggesting that it will take at least 2 years?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

I am currently in the process of interview stages for Paul Hastings. They have said that I would be required to take both the GDL and SQE before starting a TC there, should I be accepted. Since I am only just beginning my third year of a non-law degreee, they have said that I would be able to start in 2025 earliest (didn't specify month) and therefore this factor might hinder my progress during the application stages. I wondered if you knew what a reasonable timeline for completing both the GDL and SQE, since PH are suggesting that it will take at least 2 years?

This is exceptionally complicated due to the variables unfortunately, and it will depend on how the firm is supporting you/whether they have preferred suppliers/their start dates etc. However, if the firm is saying 2025 though, I suspect they have worked this out, and they are right about this.

If you do a PGDL with no SQE1 prep included, I would expect the earliest time scale to be roughly the following, assuming you had to pass the SQE before starting with the firm and based on the current regularity of when you can sit the SQE assessments:

Graduate from your degree - summer 2023
    Start PGDL - September 2023
    Finish PGDL - June 2024
    Start SQE course - late summer 2024
    Sit SQE1 - January 2025
    Sit SQE2 - end of July 2025

SQE2 results are taking 14 weeks to come through though, so if you couldn't start until knowing you had passed, you might not be able to start until end of October/beginning of November 2025.

However, there are some combined PGDL and SQE1 prep courses (typically MA level courses labelled up with SQE1 prep included). If you went with one of these, then the timeframes could be:

Graduate from your degree - summer 2023
    Start PGDL + SQE1 prep course - September 2023
    Sit SQE1 exam - July 2024
    Start SQE2 prep course - summer/early Autumn 2024
    Sit SQE2 - end of January 2025
    Be ready to start TC from early May 2025

• 🏆

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have been offered a TC in a regional office, but due to many personal reasons I would much prefer to do my TC in their London office. Do you think it is worth me asking the firm if this is possible, or will it reflect on me very badly and be highly unlikely anyway? Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker I have been offered a TC in a regional office, but due to many personal reasons I would much prefer to do my TC in their London office. Do you think it is worth me asking the firm if this is possible, or will it reflect on me very badly and be highly unlikely anyway? Thank you
    It will depend on the firm's attitude towards this - it can vary massively.

Many firms will tell you that you would need to do the final interview stage again with the London office to be considered for that opportunity. I have known at least one firm to say you must reapply completely though.

Although your circumstances may have changed, unfortunately, lots of regional firms have a problem where people apply for regional roles because they think they are less competitive and then try to game the system by saying that they'd like to move across to the London office. This has happened for decades and happens enough that it's likely your firm has dealt with this request many times before. Lately, I have heard this has got worse where people realise they could get a London salary but only need to be in the office a couple of days per week and therefore could easily commute to London.

However, the firm may be open to it. It is likely to also depend on what the personal circumstances are and how they have kicked in recently (e.g. why they have happened now or why they weren't apparent before your interviews/assessment centre). However, if they don't have any TCs to offer you (e.g. if they have already filled their London TCs) no matter what your reasons, they may still have to say no.

It is not necessarily the case that you will look bad for asking whether a move is possible or at least enquiring. But if the firm says no and you decide to stick with your regional offer, they will see you as a flight risk (e.g. likely to renege or higher chance of leaving upon qualification) - they naturally have to make that assumption because you are looking to move.

• ℹ️

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Quick question about practising Watson Glaser tests: I'm looking at both the Job prep test course subscription and the assessment day ones - Which have others found to be better?

Thanks in advance :)

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Quick question about practising Watson Glaser tests: I'm looking at both the Job prep test course subscription and the assessment day ones - Which have others found to be better?

Thanks in advance :)
    I found assessment day better because there was a greater number of tests to practice!

Reactions: Aga123+

HopefulFutureTrainee

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 23, 2022
    Would say that I had a similar situation - I initially applied to a regional office, then my circumstances changed a lot (I had mentioned in my interview that part of the reason I had chosen my location was that I was going to have family there but the Ukraine war changed everything since I am from that region and my family could no longer join me) and so I wanted to be in London where my partner was going to be, and they were very accommodating - I had to sit the WG again, but I passed that and was allowed to move!

• ℹ️

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.