TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I just submitted my application today and I wrote about the refugee crisis in the Middle East! haha! I would appreciate any help regarding how you answered these questions. Also, it's very weird that they say it doesn't have to be legally related (so basically commercial law as well), and they liked your app and interviewed you where they had an issue with it being too international law related. Or was more to see how you would answer these questions and defend your interest in becoming a commercial lawyer?
They just want to find a topic you are interested about. It doesn’t have to be anything connected to law/commercial law at all. They just want to find out what interests you have outside of work and what kind of things you read/listen to/keep yourself busy - basically the things that are going to keep you grounded and not just someone who is obsessed over work 24/7

Q.

M&A Bootcamp
Nov 23, 2020
Hello! Nice to meet you and good luck for the upcoming applications :)

I'm an international student who applied from outside the UK. I don't have VS experience but I did attend virtual ACs and interviews so if you require help in that department I can help! I also have some experience leveraging my international background so if you need any advice, feel free to DM me :)

Hi, I sent you a DM!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For Ashurst's Winter Vacation Scheme application does the question "Please use this section to tell us about yourself, your skills, achievements and why you want to train as a solicitor and work at Ashurst. (750 words max)" need to be in the format of a cover letter with (Dear... ) or can it just be written as a normal application answer would be. I understand in previous years this was written in a cover letter style with a 1000-word requirement.

I would probably still format it as a cover letter since the word limit is pretty high

Reactions: zlegal

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys,

I hope you all have had a lovely summer so far. This is my first time joining and posting on this forum so I'm really excited to learn from you all and exchange valuable information that would help us all secure our dream VS/TC.

Is anyone else also an international student applying to VS/TC from outside of the UK? Do you know if firms have allowed international students to do VS virtually from their home countries in the last two cycles?

I think doing a VS without a student visa/any other visa that lets you work in the U.K. will be impossible but the direct TC route is definitely something you can do!

Q.

M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 23, 2020
    I think doing a VS without a student visa/any other visa that lets you work in the U.K. will be impossible but the direct TC route is definitely something you can do!
    Do you reckon I should avoid applying to firms that exclusively recruit through their VS?

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Does anyone know if HSF keep the same questions each cycle? I found these posted on their website and I want to start working on it.
    Three written questions (each up to a maximum of 300 words):
    Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
    Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
    What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Does anyone know if HSF keep the same questions each cycle? I found these posted on their website and I want to start working on it.
    Three written questions (each up to a maximum of 300 words):
    Introduce us to a topic you know about and explain why it interests you
    Explain why you’re interested in pursuing a career at Herbert Smith Freehills
    What skills, qualities and attributes would you bring to the role?
    I'm pretty sure HSF have kept these questions for approximately two years, I can't be sure whether they will keep them again this cycle, but they have started to promote its Winter Vacation Scheme on Instagram, so I don't think it is likely they will change them at this stage.

Reactions: GXA123

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Does anybody know when CMS are likely to open their applications for their CMS Academy and whether the questions have been kept the same over the last few years?

Reactions: BeGrateful.101

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I'm pretty sure HSF have kept these questions for approximately two years, I can't be sure whether they will keep them again this cycle, but they have started to promote its Winter Vacation Scheme on Instagram, so I don't think it is likely they will change them at this stage.
    Thank you!!

Reactions: ZaraB

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    Does Gowling recruit on rolling basis? I couldn't find out anywhere!
    Last year and the previous year they didn't recruit on a rolling basis. They should be opening applications at the beginning of October and closing mid-December judging by last year's timelines.

Reactions: GXA123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone!

which law firms pay for the LPC retrospectively? if anyone came across any.

Thanks.
    Old thread here that lists some firms

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.