TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    And apologies if this has already been asked, but for Linklaters does anyone how the Capp assessment is weighted compared with other components e.g. WG?
    I've got a feeling Capp is weighted more heavily than WG, I believe I've seen on here people who have done well on the WG not making it to AC because of Capp but that's just a speculation :)

F99

Legendary Member
    Dec 1, 2021
    I've got a feeling Capp is weighted more heavily than WG, I believe I've seen on here people who have done well on the WG not making it to AC because of Capp but that's just a speculation :)
    Ok thank you :) It seems like since stripping down their application form to just basic info (no work exp questions etc) Linklaters have very little to go on before inviting candidates to AC. But I guess that just means they place more emphasis on candidates' performance in these tests!

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Ok thank you :) It seems like since stripping down their application form to just basic info (no work exp questions etc) Linklaters have very little to go on before inviting candidates to AC. But I guess that just means they place more emphasis on candidates' performance in these tests!
    I agree! I thought not having to input any work experience at all this year would make their lives a lot harder. But they must be looking for a very specific type of candidate that the Capp is well designed to select.

Reactions: F99

M991

Distinguished Member
    Mar 14, 2020
    Hello @Jessica Booker!

Hope you're well.

I wanted to ask how should I approach a VS application question like this: "Please outline your personal achievements, interests and positions of responsibility. How do you think they may be relevant to the pursuit of a career in law."

In my answer, should I be saying that this particular skills is relevant for a "trainee" at that particular firm, a "solicitor" or just a "lawyer". Or it does not matter at all and I am just overthinking? :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker!

Hope you're well.

I wanted to ask how should I approach a VS application question like this: "Please outline your personal achievements, interests and positions of responsibility. How do you think they may be relevant to the pursuit of a career in law."

In my answer, should I be saying that this particular skills is relevant for a "trainee" at that particular firm, a "solicitor" or just a "lawyer". Or it does not matter at all and I am just overthinking? :D
    As it says a “career in law” it doesn’t need to be specific to a trainee nor the firm, but I would try to apply it to a career as a commercial solicitor.

Reactions: M991

skmx

Star Member
    Nov 17, 2021
    Can anyone recommend good courses or certificates to take that would be beneficial for paralegal roles?
    I wouldn’t spend money on courses/certificates (unless they’re free ofc). But look at firms that prefer to take on graduates i.e DAC beachcroft and widen your area of interest. Areas like family/corporate/real estate always tend to require experience but you could have less entry requirements for more niche areas :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can anyone recommend good courses or certificates to take that would be beneficial for paralegal roles?
    I don’t think there is really anything like this, unless it’s the GDL/LPC/SQE. Some paralegal roles may require specific knowledge related to that practice area, but I really can’t think of any certificates/courses outside of the legal training that have been required for general paralegal roles.

Reactions: GXA123

F99

Legendary Member
    Dec 1, 2021
    For Linklaters Capp what have been people who got through to the AC had as their lowest scoring attributes? It seems like there are some skills from their framework which they value more than others?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Legal Chick

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    I submitted my BCLP test over a month ago and am still yet to hear back. Is anyone else in the same boat?
    Is this for their summer vac schemes? I was in the same boat last year - did the tests in November and then heard back right at the end of the cycle (March), at which point the first interview and AC were in quick succession. So don't give up hope yet!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: ellwilsen
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.