TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Last year I researched the Gowling games ect and tried to be someone I wasn’t due to that, I didn’t make it to the VI, this year I played the game as myself and my report came out so much better and more positive.
Morale of the story is just try your best to be natural don’t focus on what others say everyone’s experiences of games is different and everyone enjoys/doesn’t like the same things ☺️ good luck everyone x

kmax301

Esteemed Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hey, it’s for the 2023 TC and I applied Sunday and heard back late last eve!
Anyways, thanks. I thought it was my best ever application but I’m sure I would have received a test already if they liked it. On the application portal it says that it’s under review and they’ll email me once the status changes but then I guess it only does for those who succeed

Lumree

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Highest Rated Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    Anyways, thanks. I thought it was my best ever application but I’m sure I would have received a test already if they liked it. On the application portal it says that it’s under review and they’ll email me once the status changes but then I guess it only does for those who succeed
    I’m not sure but on the job board there are separate vacancies for the 2023 and 2024 TC.

I wouldn’t read into why you haven’t heard back yet - they’re a small grad rec with so many schemes/initiatives on the go. They simply may have not even started looking at 2024 TCs yet!

Reactions: OB and kmax301

vacschemeapss

Valued Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Hi all - just checking if anyone has heard from NRF post submitting initial written online app for spring? I know they screen apps before sending out WG tests, has anyone been sent one yet?
    I think the delay is because they might be changing the WG test to an SJT. They told in one of their events that they are currently working on a bespoke test for summer schemes. Maybe that's being applied to spring too who knows

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    @Jessica Booker

The Weil application form contains the following question: Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events etc. This is a great way to demonstrate your interest and commitment to law; these do not need to be Weil specific (300 words).

Do you think it would be advisable for candidates to mention what they learnt from/enjoyed about these career events, or would it be just as good to just give a basic run-down of what the event involved (e.g I attended a Davis Polk seminar on capital markets that I helped organise as Co-President of the College Law Society. Here, a partner and an associate analysed a recent capital markets deal, before conducting a Q&A session)?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    @Jessica Booker

The Weil application form contains the following question: Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events etc. This is a great way to demonstrate your interest and commitment to law; these do not need to be Weil specific (300 words).

Do you think it would be advisable for candidates to mention what they learnt from/enjoyed about these career events, or would it be just as good to just give a basic run-down of what the event involved (e.g I attended a Davis Polk seminar on capital markets that I helped organise as Co-President of the College Law Society. Here, a partner and an associate analysed a recent capital markets deal, before conducting a Q&A session)?
    It says any, so not just Weil; they want to see your commitment to a career in commercial law.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
    Dec 7, 2020
    It says any, so not just Weil; they want to see your commitment to a career in commercial law.
    Thanks for your reply! I'm aware that the events they're looking for don't necessarily have to be Weil-specific - the problem is that I'm not entirely sure what sort of details we're expected to mention when discussing these events.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Thanks for your reply! I'm aware that the events they're looking for don't necessarily have to be Weil-specific - the problem is that I'm not entirely sure what sort of details we're expected to mention when discussing these events.
    I would mention what you did during the event, what you learnt and how this pushed you to pursue a career in commercial law.

Reactions: AvniD and pfoapplicant

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker

I personally wouldn't go into what the event was. This isn't about you. Saying what a partner or associate did during the session has no relevance to you as an applicant. However what you can do is focus on what you took from the event, and sometimes that means describing what the event was made up of. So using your example above, instead of saying what the partner/associate did, you can put you at the front of the sentence with something like:

"By listening to lawyers analyse a recent capital markets deal, I learned X"

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.