TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
Dec 11, 2021
It really depends on the firm - so many firms wait until after deadline to hold AC even when they are rolling. Last year I applied on deadline of 7 rolling firms, made it to 5 AC and 2 said they were full! So
Also forgot to mention that most firms get most of their apps within last week/couple of days before deadline anyway, so applying early might benefit you but applying late won’t automatically reject you!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Any tips for NRF telephone interview?
Hi @Melissa2196,

Practice the classic "Why you/NRF/commercial law?" questions as much as you can. Revise other general motivation questions too. This can be with friends and family or even in front of a mirror.

Telephone interviews are tricky because you obviously cannot see the other person so you can't draw on visual cues as you would normally. Practicing was important for me at least because I said things in a more fluid, succinct way after going through it a few times. I think without visual cues there is a temptation to ramble!

Hope that helps 🚀

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
HSF rejection post SJT :((((( spent sm time on that app ugh
Hey @AspiringSol,

I am really sorry to hear this. I found SJTs frustrating honestly as it feels like there is no 'right' answer.

I remember applying to A&O, submitting my application, completing the SJT and being rejected afterwards (meaning no one ever read my application). Wow that was annoying :mad:.

That being said, as @AvniD mentioned in a post on here, especially the initial application stage is ultimately clinical and non-personal. Let that annoyance turn to motivation!

I am to help if you would like any support with any questions or guidance on future applications.

Onwards and upwards 🚀

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it still worth applying to a firm which recruits on a rolling basis if the deadline is in 2 weeks? Don't want to waste my time - really have no idea what is realistic!
If this firm is a strong contender for you - for instance it is in the top five-ten firms you would accept an offer with, I would apply anyway.

Most applicants won’t apply until the last week (and even the last few days), and even then some of those people are bound to be selected to the next stage.

You have got to be in it to win it.

Nemo11

Dec 15, 2021
Hi everyone I’ve accepted a TC with Clyde’s and I wanted to write to thank everyone on the forum for all their help.

I finished my first cycle without getting through the application stage at any firm I applied to. I’ve now finished this cycle with two vac scheme offers, two training contract offers and assessment day offers from DLA Piper, BCLP and CMS. This forum has been great in getting advice on applications and just generally being able to talk to people going through the same process.

If anyone has any questions about Clyde’s, NRF, EY, CMS, BCLP or DLA Piper or their assessment processes, or just for a general chat please message me and I’ll be happy to talk to anyone!

Thank you all again
Hi! Congrats on the TC. Just wondering how the BCLP interview went, and how soon after you received feedback/were invited to the AC? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.