TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
Dec 6, 2020
@Jessica Booker I am currently trying to submit an application to Macfarlanes, however it constitutes a paragraph break as a word, thus making my answers go over the limit.

Do I remove the paragraph breaks to meet the word requirement? I do not want my answers to come across as unclear and a huge chunk of text! Any help/guidance would be appreciated!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I am currently trying to submit an application to Macfarlanes, however it constitutes a paragraph break as a word, thus making my answers go over the limit.

Do I remove the paragraph breaks to meet the word requirement? I do not want my answers to come across as unclear and a huge chunk of text! Any help/guidance would be appreciated!
No - paragraphs will be very important.

I’d find other words to remove. This thread might help you find a few words to remove that will allow you to keep the paragraph spacing in:

Legally brown

Distinguished Member
Dec 6, 2020
No - paragraphs will be very important.

I’d find other words to remove. This thread might help you find a few words to remove that will allow you to keep the paragraph spacing in:

Amazing! Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how competitive open days are?
Really depends on the individual circumstances. One open day with the same firm can be unpopular just due to the day/date it is run, while the next can be overly popular for the same reason. Mix in eligibility, when other firms run their events (a conflict with a direct competitor can make it less popular), format of the event (eg online vs in person) and it just varies too much.

I have known some open days to get less than 50 applications and another to get over 750.

Reactions: ZaraB and OB

refy

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 19, 2021
Does anyone know the eligibility criteria for Cleary? I'm in my penultimate year (non-law) and am not sure if I have to wait until next year to apply for the vac scheme?

jv1999

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 11, 2021
Should a cover letter ever differ in focus depending on whether it is part of an app for a TC versus VS? i.e. if applying to a VS, should you try and explain what appeals about the VS or why you would want to join the firm for the VS as opposed to why this firm generally (implicitly from the POV of training there)?

Not sure if this is a stupid Q but was just thinking that I am not applying for the 'full time job' with my cover letter for a VS

Nicole15

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Slightly trivial question - should I sign off with "Yours Sincerely" or "Yours Faithfully" in cover letters? @Jessica Booker Is there a general rule or does it vary across different firms?
    I was of the impression that you sign of with "Yours sincerely" when you know the name of the person you're writing to and "Yours faithfully" when you don't know the name of the recipient.

Reactions: OB, GXA123 and BrerRabbit

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    I was of the impression that you sign of with "Yours sincerely" when you know the name of the person you're writing to and "Yours faithfully" when you don't know the name of the recipient.
    Thanks! I confused Yours Faithfully and Yours Truly (which I think some people use to replace both faithfully and sincerely lol) , you are absolutely right. Do you capitalise the S and F in Your Sincerely/Faithfully?

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.