TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I was wondering if it's still worth applying to BCLP so close to the deadline for their VS?

They are rolling and I think there website states that if you apply on the deadline the app might be overlooked...
Yep! I spoke to a future trainee at BCLP who told me she’s met various trainees who’ve secured vacation schemes after they submitted their applications several days in advance of the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lawfulx

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
When people speak of applying "too close to the deadline", what do they usually mean? I get that applying 2-3 days before a deadline might be too close. But is 2-3 weeks before a deadline also too close? @Jessica Booker if you have any thoughts, I'd be grateful to hear them :)
2-3 weeks puts you out in front of a majority of applicants, absolutely in the running. Common rule of thumb is to, if possible, apply in the first 2/3 of the application period but it's not strictly necessary. Only firms where I really worry about getting in ASAP are those which will fill up before the deadline like Slaughters

Limanehious

Star Member
Mar 19, 2021
@Limanehious I'd suggest using your time at the firm to demonstrate that you understand the firm's ethos and culture, their expectations from their trainees and vision for the future. One of the biggest advantages you have is the fact that you're an 'insider', so please do mention your work at the firm and always contextualise your motivations for working at the firm with your own experiences (good and bad), initiatives and ambitions for your career. Let me know how you get on with drafting your answers- wishing you the best 😇
Thank you very much!! I'm so nervous, 150 words feel like nowhere near enough to show how much I want to train there! I think I am going to mention the ethos and quality of training, and link back to the fact that my experience and training as a paralegal has been exemplary, so I know this is going to continue. If I have any further related questions, am I ok to PM you? Thanks

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Heard nothing, doesn't look like any PFOs have gone out yet - wondering if they'll take the approach of going through their entire recruitment process then doing a mass rejection late Feb.

That said they only closed 2 weeks ago and doubtless have a huge number of apps to sift through so I wouldn't lose hope yet
They said to me we will hear back by the end of the month!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
@George Maxwell I’m currently deciding between two vac with clashing dates and was wondering if you could give any insight into your experience with Akin Gump’s scheme?
Hi @Arche172372,

I take it you got the scheme! That's amazing news. Congratulations! 🥂

What would you like to know?

I am happy to discuss this via PM if that is helpful and you would rather discuss specific firms etc.

Reactions: AvniD

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Gibson Dunn second stage interview invite! Grateful if anyone has any tips or advice 😊it’s a general interview and article interview
Hi @ek125712,

That's fantastic news!! 🥳

I am really pleased for you. Is this your first interview or have you had experience interviewing in the past? If it would be helpful I can compile a list of resources from TCLA on interviews in general. Just let me know!

I do not know GD's interview process or style. But! I can provide some more general insights.

Here are some bits and pieces gathered from the forum about GD's process:
Tagging @Daniel Boden for his insight if he feels able to provide it (no pressure though Dan!).

For the article interview, take a look at this post about the Slaughter's interview. A portion of their interviews are article based, so those tips may be helpful for you.

As I said, I am more than happy to provide some general interview advice, but I am unsure whether you are looking only for GB-specific insights.

Reactions: Daniel Boden
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.