TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
In a VI if you run out of things to say is it best to just end the question early (at say 60 seconds rather than 90), or should you try to continue to fill the full time?
Ideally try to pace out your answer/use a level of detail that avoids this - but yeah better to end early than babble incoherently.

That said, I can say from experience that the 30 seconds remaining will be the longest 30 seconds of your life, and a deeply awkward and uncomfortable experience. Try to remain composed, maintain eye contact - do not, as I did, sheepishly glance away and mutter 'oh god' under your breath after 20 seconds of silence has elapsed.

Law2021vacschemer

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2021
Ideally try to pace out your answer/use a level of detail that avoids this - but yeah better to end early than babble incoherently.

That said, I can say from experience that the 30 seconds remaining will be the longest 30 seconds of your life, and a deeply awkward and uncomfortable experience. Try to remain composed, maintain eye contact - do not, as I did, sheepishly glance away and mutter 'oh god' under your breath after 20 seconds of silence has elapsed.
Hahaha thank you😂 that’s v helpful

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hahaha thank you😂 that’s v helpful
Happy to help. Worth noting that after that experience I asked around the forum and loads of people confirmed they did progress under similar circumstances so it certainly isn't fatal - I haven't been progressed but I appear to have at least made it to maybe-pile limbo so chocking up the W. I suspect there are some points on the table if you like, flub one Q but come back strong on subsequent Qs (resilience and all that).

Reactions: Law2021vacschemer

Palilegal

• Jan 22, 2022
    Anyone else not heard from Reed Smith since submitting the VI? I didn't even receive the holding emails that people got earlier this week and today!

I'm experiencing the same thing with Baker McKenzie, did not receive the Watson Glaser or a rejection yet and there are people out there getting VIs. I assume I have been rejected, but I emailed graduate recruitment in case.

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey guys! I just have a question for an upcoming interview.

I'm not sure whether I should repeat my examples that I talked about in the online app in the interview.

For example on the online app, they asked what were my hobbies and interests. I wrote about meeting new, diverse people, learning about their experiences/perspectives and engaging in discussion. Then I spoke about my experience being a Student Ambassador.

What if, in the interview, they ask me 'what energises you?'. Because what really energises me is a team-working setting and being able to learn from different/fresh perspectives. I genuinely enjoy the exposure. Do you think it is ok for me to repeat my example? I just don't want to be a broken record that regurgitates the same things. But at the same time I'm not sure whether my interviewer has read my online app and remembered parts of that.

Also, does anyone have any advice on how to sell myself well, or any specific structure/guideline I should follow that works well? I struggle with this due to self-criticism :')

Any tips would be appreciated! Would also appreciate if @Jessica Booker or any of the TCLA moderators could advise me on this!
    Hi @JunLee2808,

These are great questions 🏆

Answering your first question, you could when you are asked this, mention that you spoke about X in your written application and that you are unsure whether your interviewers had already read this. However, just in case they did, you will speak about Y.

That way you are giving your interviewers the opportunity to interject and ask you to speak about your 'first choice' interests. You are also giving your interviewers a more rounded insight into you and your background.

However, the above assumes that you have equally strong things to mention other than the things you wrote about in your application. If this is not the case (which would be understandable), I think reusing these examples would be acceptable. You could always speak about an interest that you mentioned on your application already, but in more depth than you were able to with a limited word count.

Regarding your second question, I did not have a particular structure in mind before a quick google. However, this and this might be useful. Broadly, it seems that a commonly suggested structure is to speak about your past (i.e., your useful/relevant/interesting experiences), your present (i.e., how you are currently equipped to deal with Z now) and your future (i.e., how your ambitions and capacity to develop make you a desirable candidate/make you a good fit for the role).

Some of the considerations you might have in answering this question seem similar to crafting an elevator pitch. Again after a quick look online, I found this, this and this which I hope might be helpful!

In terms of growing your confidence in answering this question, try practicing in a mock interview (and getting feedback), doing it in front of a mirror, recording yourself. I would think that with a stronger structure in mind, you will feel more at ease approaching this question.

I hope that helps!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.