TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I feel like recruitment can’t win 🤣. I really appreciate Reed Smith’s update emails but I’d wish they’d just rip the band-aid off or keep me in the dark. Instead I’m incessantly refreshing my emails!
    I agree with this as every time I see an email from a law firm I think it is a rejection or an invite to the next stage. Those emails scare people.

Reactions: George Maxwell

iamJW

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 21, 2019
    Side note from all the Reed Smith emails but does anyone know if Macfarlanes recruits for its VS on a rolling basis? I booked for a slot in March and curious whether thats too late??

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Side note from all the Reed Smith emails but does anyone know if Macfarlanes recruits for its VS on a rolling basis? I booked for a slot in March and curious whether thats too late??
    I think this might help.
    A lot of people have been asking this at the moment and the short answer is no.

1) Firms tend to be pretty good at predicting conversion rates at interview and also will factor in declines, no-shows etc

2) Firms have some flexibility with hiring numbers, especially knowing they are bound to get a renege or two later down the line. For instance, I used to say we recruited 60 summer vac schemers but that number actually varied between 55 and 66 each year based on how the recruitment went.

3) In the absolute worst case scenario they will just offer you something else - a later scheme/start date, or see if they can move you across to a different opportunity (eg a direct TC process if you are going forward for a VS)
    Also Macfarlanes do not recruit on a rolling basis this year.

• 🤝
    Reactions: iamJW
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.