TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelovelygiraffe

Sep 19, 2021
This might be a stupid question but would law firms ask about the specifics of uni modules during interview? I encountered this question during an interview simulation w/ my university career service in my last cycle. I imagine this question would be quite unfair for non-law candidates but the career counsel said I should revisit my notes in case they ask. I'm doing law and my grades are pretty ok but if they ask this I'm pretty much dead cuz I forgot everything💀
I’ve heard of questions like ‘what’s your favourite module or least favourite module’ so I prepared my answers for that and my reasons why.

What I wasn’t prepared for is getting asked ‘so if it’s your favourite module, what’s your favourite case?’ - threw me off lol cause I liked the conceptual part of the module

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I’ve heard of questions like ‘what’s your favourite module or least favourite module’ so I prepared my answers for that and my reasons why.

What I wasn’t prepared for is getting asked ‘so if it’s your favourite module, what’s your favourite case?’ - threw me off lol cause I liked the conceptual part of the module
    I agree the 'fav and least fav module' question has higher possibilities. Thank you!

Reactions: thelovelygiraffe

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 18, 2020
    Hi everyone! :)
    I'm preparing for the Mayer Brown job simulation and trying to note a couple of points on "why Mayer Brown" for the VI.
    While I was researching the firm, I was pretty intrigued by the firm's unique strengths within Asian markets. I understand how this might be strategically beneficial for the firm itself, but I'm struggling to explain why this might be attractive/beneficial for a trainee. I think trainees will benefit from the increased exposure to multijurisdictional matters, but that seems like a rather superficial understanding.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on why a firm's strengths in a particular geographical area might be of interest to trainees specifically?

Thank you in advance! :)

PF'noooo!

Star Member
    Jan 19, 2021
    Hi, I have received an invite to do a written analytical test for a law firm. The invite explicitly says that the test will be reflective of a typical trainee task. However, the invite states that any external knowledge (whether legal or commercial) is not necessary to do well. The invite has stated that no preparation is needed. This has really confused me as I am not sure exactly how to prepare in advance (even though I have been told no preparation is needed). @Jessica Booker and TCLA, would you have any suggestions on how to perform best or points to look out for?

Reactions: tc_hopeful

YUKI1201

Valued Member
  • Mar 3, 2021
    So I am going to just have a word vomit:

So i have an interview tomorrow with Linklaters - and I feel soo inadequate. I honestly don't even know why I am going. I know I am going to get a rejection and there is literally no point. I don't want to embarrass myself or have my hopes up to only have it be destroyed. i know there is the whole 'it is not a PFO till it is a PFO" or "it is amazing that you even got an interview" but regardless .... i feel so %$&£
    This is exactly how I felt before my first AC (well it happened about only 5 days ago 🤣 ).
    Thing is that last year I applied for 6 first-year schemes, rejected by all, and I thought oh well if I couldn't even get first year offers what's my chance of getting a VS? Probs none. And then AC invite came along, only 3 days to prepare from an utterly empty brain (because I was not expecting to receive ANY AC so didn't even prepare cuz it would feel embarrassing).

I did put all of my time and effort in those 3 days while constantly doubting myself. But then I thought oh well even if I don't make it, what harm does it do to me? NONE. The day before my AC I actually looked in the mirror and say to myself that "if you don't believe in yourself who are you going to convince?" (ik it sounds so cheesy but I did that LMAO); and I presented the most confident myself during the AC - that really was the key because it kept the interviewers engaged and interested. They are humans, not robots giving you scores by processing your answers word-by-word. You want them to see that you are determined to make it and trust me it does convince them.

Best luck!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This might be a stupid question but would law firms ask about the specifics of uni modules during interview? I encountered this question during an interview simulation w/ my university career service in my last cycle. I imagine this question would be quite unfair for non-law candidates but the career counsel said I should revisit my notes in case they ask. I'm doing law and my grades are pretty ok but if they ask this I'm pretty much dead cuz I forgot everything💀
    It isn't really about you knowing a legal topic. It's more about how you describe something technical/academic that you should be knowledgeable about.

I would often ask the question "describe one of your modules/dissertation to me as if I have no knowledge of the subject". I was assessing someone's communication skills rather than their knowledge.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.