TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc_hopeful

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 18, 2020
Does anyone have any tips for the Mayer Brown Job Simulation please e.g. preparation/info about how the different parts are weighted/how many video qs they have? Would be deeply appreciated! Thank you!
hi! I'm not sure how it's weighted but I recall there being around 5 video interview questions.

Reactions: ofm

hassanali

• Dec 16, 2021
    Is it just me or the SJTs are a hit and miss? I have passed two SJTs in this cycle. I also applied for the CPS TC as the application process seemed easy enough. Did the practice test before the actual one and got feedback that I did better most people in these categories, however failed the main test horribly, scored a mere 24% despite doing much better in the practice tests and earlier tests.

T.

Premium Member
    Jan 7, 2022
    Is it just me or the SJTs are a hit and miss? I have passed two SJTs in this cycle. I also applied for the CPS TC as the application process seemed easy enough. Did the practice test before the actual one and got feedback that I did better most people in these categories, however failed the main test horribly, scored a mere 24% despite doing much better in the practice tests and earlier tests.
    Do they email you your score? I applied for the CPS training contract as well but didn’t say whether I passed or failed?

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Is anyone able to provide an overview of the banking/finance team's involvement in a typical M&A deal, and what the sort of trainee tasks would be. To my understanding, lev finance would be involved in negotiating and drafting loan agreements (more typically in PE deals as debt is used more in such transactions). Also, sorting out security for any debt instruments (e.g. collateral over assets of the buyer).

@Rob93 - I've tagged you here as I am aware you are interested in M&A/PE.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    SJTs can often work on a negative scoring basis. For instance you’ll get 1 positive mark for the best answer, 0 points for a not the best answer(s) and -1 point for the worst answer.

What can often happen is that people choose the “wrong” answer for questions which, then cancel out any right answers. Where candidates usually go wrong is assuming the right answer is doing all the work themselves or doing something the quickest way possible. This can often be the “wrong” answer as organisations expect you to work/learn from others, want things to be done to the highest standard or in the most considered way.

Reactions: tc_hopeful

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Has anyone completed the Fieldfisher telephone interview? Also, does anyone know if the telephone interviews are also rolling (i.e. if you have your interview earlier, are you more likely to get through to the AC)?

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    You’ll get an email from GR with a bit more information - I got one today although for direct TC and my AC slot is next week. Check your junk as mine ended up there!
    Did your email tell you anything about whether the commercial exercise is group or individual; whether there would be another AC stage? Also got a second email from them but is basically just repeated what was said in the initial one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.