TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Is anyone able to provide an overview of the banking/finance team's involvement in a typical M&A deal, and what the sort of trainee tasks would be. To my understanding, lev finance would be involved in negotiating and drafting loan agreements (more typically in PE deals as debt is used more in such transactions). Also, sorting out security for any debt instruments (e.g. collateral over assets of the buyer).

@Rob93 - I've tagged you here as I am aware you are interested in M&A/PE.
That's much of it, in PE you might also have high-yield bonds as part of the debt capital structure. Debt people might get involved in structuring so-called 'preference shares' which tend to behave in a bondish fashion but I think that's probably still primarily corporate's wheelhouse.

Note that security won't usually be over the buyer's assets - at least in a PE context security will subsist at a few points in the capital structure and ideally down through the assets of the operating company or group of companies. This last bit can become complicated depending on the jurisdictions in which the assets are located or domiciled in the case of an entire corporate entity. Some part of trainee work on int'l deals can involve coordinating the opinions from counsel in implicated jurisdictions.

In either PE or general corporate M&A I imagine the debt lawyers are also involved in discharging any of the debts currently against the target - in most instances you'll refinance target corporate debt upon acquisition (I believe virtually always in a PE context and would suspect overwhelmingly in other M&A also), including operating debts. This would also involve making sure any security in favour of the old lenders is duly discharged.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
That's much of it, in PE you might also have high-yield bonds as part of the debt capital structure. Debt people might get involved in structuring so-called 'preference shares' which tend to behave in a bondish fashion but I think that's probably still primarily corporate's wheelhouse.

Note that security won't usually be over the buyer's assets - at least in a PE context security will subsist at a few points in the capital structure and ideally down through the assets of the operating company or group of companies. This last bit can become complicated depending on the jurisdictions in which the assets are located or domiciled in the case of an entire corporate entity. Some part of trainee work on int'l deals can involve coordinating the opinions from counsel in implicated jurisdictions.

In either PE or general corporate M&A I imagine the debt lawyers are also involved in discharging any of the debts currently against the target - in most instances you'll refinance target corporate debt upon acquisition (I believe virtually always in a PE context and would suspect overwhelmingly in other M&A also), including operating debts. This would also involve making sure any security in favour of the old lenders is duly discharged.
If you're acting lender side you'll probably also be involved in intercreditor agreements - debt financing for M&A usually involves a bunch of different banks acting as a syndicate and there is quite lengthy documentation setting out their obligations betwixt themselves separate from the main facility agreement.

Reactions: Dwight

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I know right, I finished this storm of applications on the 31st with a pounding headache. Felt apt.
I finished last night and I feel like I want to get rid of this bad cold and go back to the gym. I am thinking about to take on a physical challenge called HYROX..if you guys want to join me, we can train together!

Reactions: GXA123

Commerciallaw

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 30, 2021
    Hey everyone :)
    Just a check in has anyone heard from the below firms? (I applied to all of them a couple of days before their deadlines)
    Latham post app/SJT
    Shearman
    Sidley
    Ropes
    Latham I got a VI invite last week - haven't heard back after the VI :)

(edit) I had applied the day before the deadline

Last edited:

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    Did your email tell you anything about whether the commercial exercise is group or individual; whether there would be another AC stage? Also got a second email from them but is basically just repeated what was said in the initial one.
    No - it basically gave the same information as the previous email and gave more details around the platform being used.

Reactions: TCG and TCApp2021
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.