TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
The use of this in financial press is loose, so be mindful of how any given bit of commentary is written. But

A 'de-SPAC' refers specifically to the M&A deal whereby the SPAC takes on its previously private target co.; it's the consummation of the investment into an actual operating company, which then becomes listed (mechanics will vary somewhat).

A SPAC deal is often this, but can also mean the IPO of the SPAC itself.

In some cases, a 'SPAC deal' may also be in reference to the 'private investment in public equity' (PIPE) transactions often used to close out a de-SPAC; basically if the SPAC only has, say, $200mm but target value is $1bn, investment banks will underwrite or subscribe the remaining $800mm to close the deal in exchange for fresh equity which usually is issued shortly following close of the merger.

Again always be conscious of context because the writing can have a bit of slippage (though commentary on PIPEs will usually make it clear it's a PIPE). In any case it should in most cases be clear what kind of transaction is being discussed.
Thank you!

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Out of curiosity - how many hours a day do people spend preparing for an AC?
    I don’t think you should look at it from that perspective personally as it may lead into a false sense that hours you have committed leads to varying rates of success.
    Personally, for some of my ACs, as I often had to work as well, I would try do 2-3 hours in the evening in the run up (maybe 8-10 hours total).

aspiringlawyer123_

Legendary Member
    Dec 11, 2021
    I don’t think you should look at it from that perspective personally as it may lead into a false sense that hours you have committed leads to varying rates of success.
    Personally, for some of my ACs, as I often had to work as well, I would try do 2-3 hours in the evening in the run up (maybe 8-10 hours total).
    I didn’t mean how much you should, I just wanted to see the variation!

Reactions: CC03

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone, I've just finished my cycle of applications and excited (and in disbelief) to say that I've been offered two Training Contracts and a vacation scheme this cycle. It's going to be a difficult decision, but one that I never thought I'd have to make.

This was my third cycle, and I was rejected from every firm I applied to last year at the application stage, but I can really say that TCLA was pivotal to my progress this year and I would like to thank every one of you, especially @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for this platform and for all your help. I could truly never have done it without the materials and support. I'm usually a bit of a lurker in the forum, but I went through it a LOT (perhaps obsessively) and it would often help me calm down before an interview.

To those of you still in the heat of the cycle, I wish you all the best of luck! It's such a stressful process, but you're all such strong people and I believe in you.

P.S. What is the process for uploading interview / application experiences?
    Really happy for you, well done 😊. I will drop you a PM!

Just a random thought but, has anyone done the Travers Smith winter scheme and can confirm you literally get paid £750 for a week?
    More generally, does anyone have any thoughts on why the massive discrepancy between TS and the usual £450 that firms pay per week of vacation scheme?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.