TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker and Gemma,

I understand and agree with some of your remarks. However, may I ask you how candidates can understand how to improve their apps?
I mean, if I receive a general rejection how do I know what went wrong?

English is not my first language, however I have British people in my life who do not work in the legal industry but are happy to look at my apps and give me their feedback. However, this is not enough and it can be frustrating and mentally challenging at times.
I don't think a tick box exercise solves that problem though.

It's not telling you where the spelling/grammatical errors are, which sentence was unclear that led to the firm stating something about your written communication, or where your understanding of what the law firm does was incorrect. My personal opinion is that something like this is just causing more process but with little benefit to the firm. Any process needs to benefit the candidate and the firm for it to really be considered. Graduate Recruitment is actually a small proportion of recruitment done by law firms and typically these processes have to be applied across both graduate and lateral recruitment. It can also get more complicated if it also needs to be applied internationally.

If you don't know people in the legal industry, network to find people who are. Find ways to connect with people who could advise you. Just because you don't have the network now, doesn't mean you don't have the means to create a network within the next 6 months. It is ultimately why TCLA is here - the greatest value in TCLA is the community we have in the forum. We have a good number of future trainees in this forum and people who have been successful in recruitment processes. You could ask someone to review your application and in return you could review theirs.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
The reason the pay is so high at TS is because they used to offer a two week scheme at what's a fairly standard rate for VS (iirc £450/week) and then decided to shorten their scheme to be one week only but keep the pay roughly the same (so now you get £750 but its for one week instead of getting £900 for two weeks). I think this is a pretty poor deal, as I'd prefer more time to experience the firm/work to decide if it's right for me but to each their own. It's also helped TS cut costs as they can get away with spending less overall and don't have run a lengthy VS.

Here's an article about it.
God I hate the legal cheek comments section.

• Haha
Reactions: S87 and OB

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Dechert VI and Written Exercise just hit my inbox. Applied on the last day (from memory) and it was defs for the summer vac/2024 training contract. Thanks for all the help in the forum thus far! What do written exercises usually involve? Is the VI one of those ones where you can re-record as many times as you like (easy as) or is it a one take show (worst thing in the world lol)? (And remember for all those who got Latham rejections, WAGMI!)
Feel free to PM me :)

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker and Gemma,

I understand and agree with some of your remarks. However, may I ask you how candidates can understand how to improve their apps?
I mean, if I receive a general rejection how do I know what went wrong?

English is not my first language, however I have British people in my life who do not work in the legal industry but are happy to look at my apps and give me their feedback. However, this is not enough and it can be frustrating and mentally challenging at times.
To an extent that's just kind of how this works.

I think there's a lot to be said for like, being able to self-reflect and find iterative ways to improve what you've done - even if your application was good, it can always be better.

And that's a related point - I've been unsuccessful on plenty of apps that were like... entirely serviceable, have had former grad rec people say they were good. But sometimes you just aren't what they're looking for and it's important to make peace with that.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
To an extent that's just kind of how this works.

I think there's a lot to be said for like, being able to self-reflect and find iterative ways to improve what you've done - even if your application was good, it can always be better.

And that's a related point - I've been unsuccessful on plenty of apps that were like... entirely serviceable, have had former grad rec people say they were good. But sometimes you just aren't what they're looking for and it's important to make peace with that.
Amen to that..there is always room for improvement!

Reactions: JD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just seen the number of pages of the forum

black and white devil GIF

no good satan GIF

ps123

Star Member
Oct 15, 2021
Classic stuff, absolute paragons of the profession in the comments every time.
God I hate the legal cheek comments section.
I find it absolutely bonkers. I think the open nature of NQ salaries rn really warps opinions towards levels of remuneration. You see 15+ US firms offering crazy money and begin to think it's a norm when in fact the total numbers of NQ solicitors are pretty insignificant when compared with the broader total London grad market.

Reactions: OB, S87 and Miki3999

ps123

Star Member
Oct 15, 2021
Dechert written exercise and VI invite! any advice would be hugely appreciated!! :)
The platform automatically saves your work as you go along, don't think it's a good idea to write up the exercise in word and try to copy and paste it over. I had a wifi glitch which meant I couldn't access the platform to submit my work and so the grand sum of my efforts was 'Dear' and that was the end of my Dechert process hahaah

• Wow
Reactions: Emily K and OB
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.