TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
I find it absolutely bonkers. I think the open nature of NQ salaries rn really warps opinions towards levels of remuneration. You see 15+ US firms offering crazy money and begin to think it's a norm when in fact the total numbers of NQ solicitors are pretty insignificant when compared with the broader total London grad market.
Yeah I mean it's also imo quite unseemly to get into pissing contests about comp levels as though that's a reflection of competence, intelligence or inherent worth. Everyone matriculating into City practice as an NQ is in or very near the top 1% of UK earners, the obsession in some corners with working at the highest levels of remuneration is a bit tasteless and should be relegated to investment banking where it belongs.

Reactions: Abii and ps123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yeah I mean it's also imo quite unseemly to get into pissing contests about comp levels as though that's a reflection of competence, intelligence or inherent worth. Everyone matriculating into City practice as an NQ is in or very near the top 1% of UK earners, the obsession in some corners with working at the highest levels of remuneration is a bit tasteless and should be relegated to investment banking where it belongs.
Leslie Jordan GIF by FOX TV

(although I am not convinced it has a place in IB either...)

ps123

Star Member
Oct 15, 2021
Couldn't agree more. This was my first cycle and so with nothing else to go on, I'm not ashamed to admit I basically selected firms to apply for on the basis of the 'Most List' on Legal Cheek (NQ Salaries & even more amusingly PEP). As the months have gone on, various open days have really opened my eyes to how much you can actually find out about a firm when you look further than the superficial descriptions of a 'full-service international firm'.

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
Even the trainee salaries are higher than the average London full-time salary! I think a lot of people forget that, perhaps it is because so many solicitors come from quite privileged backgrounds so see high salaries as normal.

Reactions: JD and Rob93

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Couldn't agree more. This was my first cycle and so with nothing else to go on, I'm not ashamed to admit I basically selected firms to apply for on the basis of the 'Most List' on Legal Cheek (NQ Salaries & even more amusingly PEP). As the months have gone on, various open days have really opened my eyes to how much you can actually find out about a firm when you look further than the superficial descriptions of a 'full-service international firm'.
Astronomically high PEP to me is a red flag because it means they are wringing ever more out of juniors. I will perhaps lateral into partnership at Kirkland in my later years, after building a respectable book of business at some 'lesser' firm 🥳

• Haha
Reactions: Miki3999 and ps123

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Which firm is generally regarded as better? (I appreciate that this might be down to personal preference). Macfarlanes or Ashurst?
There are so many variables and I think you need to consider what you want from your career.
Rankings are good, but then it all comes down to you. I am not a big fan of Macfarlanes because is very old white, british and lacks of the international appeal I look for. However, I know nothing about Ashurst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.