TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hopefully! But in all honesty, even if it was unsuccessful I am just so happy that I did it :D plus it was quite fun as far as assessments go!
This is a winner's mindset! If you can see the enjoyable side of every interview and see it as an investment in yourself, then even when you are unsuccessful you are spurred onto the next - I am sure that we will be congratulating you on your TC offer very soon :)

• Love
Reactions: thirdtimelucky

ldawg

Feb 7, 2022
Same! They don't mention anything about an interview, and the slot is only 2 and a half hours so I don't think there can be one. But on their website they say that they have a full assessment centre as the final stage with interview and all? extremely confused lol I've emailed grad recruitment
did grad recruitment reply? also so so confused and have my AC with them

CC03

Valued Member
Nov 24, 2021
So after a small break post rejection, I did a VI this morn and was asked how many uses there are for a spoon... oh and I realised I did not answer the second part of a competency question! How's everyone else's Tuesday gone? 🥴🥴 oh and 60 secs to answer Qs is so tight!! Bombed it😭
What firm was this?

JD

Distinguished Member
May 1, 2020
Hi @lawful_neutral216,

I want to start by saying how sorry I am to hear that you have found yourself in this position. Rejection is incredibly painful, especially in the later stages of a firm's application process.

I was rejected from three vacation schemes in the space of three months and every single one was brutal. Spending an entire application cycle building up to those schemes, with confidence that I would be able to convert at least one of them, meant that I just felt completely hopeless when I realised that I had failed to do so. The latter two post-vac scheme rejections came on the same day no less!! I moped around for about 24 hours before I sat down and started looking at upcoming direct TC deadlines.

The day after I received both of those two rejections, I sent off an app that ended up in a TC offer less than a month later. The day after that I sent off another app that ended up in another TC offer! This was all in July right at the end of my first cycle. The learning process of getting ACs and vac schemes and subsequently being rejected from them was invaluable in ultimately getting me to a firm that I love. I also got a genuinely interesting and varied perspective of the kind of work that City lawyers do, so I have no regrets about any of these experiences.

Take time to reflect and then realise that you have a huge amount of time remaining this cycle. I submitted a lot of direct Training Contract applications and that is how I received the offer for the firm I am going to. Of course it would be great to have a VS or TC offer at this stage, but I sincerely think that the more work one puts into researching and applying to firms now pays dividends in the long run. You do not necessarily want to default into the first firm that offered you an AC - it is great to have the opportunity to learn from that experience what areas of law you are interested in and which firms you should be looking at going forward.

It is an incredible feat that you got to two ACs in the first place, so congratulations!!! Do not worry about whether or not you prepared enough - I am sure you did everything you intended to with the right approach and intentions, but no-one is fully prepared for a law firm AC until they have done several previously. The real preparation required to ultimately obtain a Training Contract involves the lessons you learn from your unsuccessful ACs and how you take that insight into your future ACs. You will continue to develop confidence in your interview ability and you will find yourself in a pretty good position if you draw upon your resilience and keep moving forward :)

Does the fact that you are an international student worry you for visa purposes? I know that @AvniD has already given you a great response but she may be able to provide even more insight into this issue. Either way, I have every confidence that you will bounce back stronger than ever and obtain a Training Contract offer in this cycle :)
Such great advice, James. I was wondering do you know where I can find an updated list for applications for direct TCs? I think there's one on the forum but don't think it's updated.

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
Mar 1, 2021
"oh so how long have you been desperado for a TC/frantically refreshing your emails/trying to master the elusive title of being "commercially aware"?
best show guns GIF by The Special Without Brett Davis

psych its actually triple that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.