TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Such great advice, James. I was wondering do you know where I can find an updated list for applications for direct TCs? I think there's one on the forum but don't think it's updated.
Thank you so much @GWW!

I think the list you are referring to that has not been updated is this one and it outlines which firms take considerable numbers of people through the direct TC route! It is from last year but I think the majority remain the same this year so it would definitely still be helpful!

In terms of upcoming direct TC deadlines I would say that this is the most thorough resource and you can also find a list of TC deadlines for major firms here.

I hope this all helps - please let me know if you have any further questions :)

• Love
  • ℹ️
Reactions: JD, Adrian_S and Asil Ahmad

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hello, I am preparing for assessment centres and I was wondering if someone would be interested in doing a peer to peer case study exercise with me? I was thinking someone could play the interviewer and the other one the candidate and we would prepare a case study and then switch roles. I think it would be a great simulation exercise and we could learn from each other. If anyone is interested please feel free to send me a message! :)
Have you had messages about this yet? I think that you should post this as a new thread and @Jaysen may be able to include it in the forum banner if it is a popular idea!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi all - might be a stupid question, but how detailed should your answers to "why law" and "why firm" be? Although my previous AC was successful, my answers to these two questions were seen as too vague in a mock interview with RARE so I'm really not confident (e.g., I gave an example of interning at a law firm doing legal research, found it interesting to analyse the economic, legal and political aspects of the particular industry and help clients who needed those information, but the mock interviewer said I needed to answer what is it about the actual work that interests me - I didn't get what this meant). Would appreciate if people could share how they articulate their answers!!
@YUKI1201 my guess is what they meant is that you should explore why it interests you not just from an academic perspective but show that you know what the hands-on work will entail and why you'll enjoy that! It is not too big a point in my opinion but definitely something to bear in mind :)

• 🤝
Reactions: YUKI1201

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Has anyone got any tips on how to prepare for a case study interview? (Addleshaw goddard)
Hi @manchester12 I do not know much about Addleshaw Goddard in particular but I have written about my approach to case studies here and @George Maxwell has provided a compilation of case study-related links here.

I hope all of this helps :)

Reactions: George Maxwell

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I feel like I pronounced the firms name wrong in the VI I did - will this be really problematic ? It was MDR btw - used to pronounce it properly until I heard someone else pronounce it differently!! Feel really dumb :(
Ah I would not worry - I did a vac scheme at a US firm where everyone in the London office pronounced the firm's name differently to everyone in the US lol

• Haha
Reactions: Hele25 and Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Honestly I had a quick little cry while deciding if I could actually go through the 10-4 AC today but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity! I truly thank coffee, paracetamol and adrenaline for giving me the energy to push through lol!
@thirdtimelucky so happy to hear that you got through it- you're a star 👏 👏 👏

• Love
Reactions: thirdtimelucky

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Feel like my AC interview resembled more of a debate as opposed to an interview? Not sure how this is how it should have gone, is this relatively normal for legal work?

Mine felt like this today! We had a long debate about morals and whether courts should be able to invalidate signed contracts. They also kept pushing me to give them an answer on my policy work (I work in the civil service) re why shouldn’t builders pay for insurance premiums. I think at one point I couldn’t really give an answer and felt a bit frustrated but I think the debate style is quite conversational and definitely a good thing as long as you were able to stick to your arguments when being pushed or conceded when a good point was raised :)
You're supposed to be challenged, yes, but I don't know how I'd feel if everything I said was being treated as fodder for a debate. As @thirdtimelucky said, maybe the debate-style interview is a way to test whether you can stand your ground and hold your own. I presume that you've succeeded if you've been able to do that to some degree.

I hope the outcome of your AC is in your favour 🤞

Jellybelly829

Jan 23, 2022
Does anyone who has done the OC AC this year know if there is an interview on the day as well? Or is that the next stage? Just worrying about what I need to prepare. On the email it just says a commercial exercise and the watson glaser so assuming I don't need to prepare for situational judgment/competencies/interview at this stage?

LEL

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 22, 2020
Could anyone who has done an in-person VS please shed light on what the days entail? I've done a virtual scheme, which was largely practice area talks, talks on diversity/tech/legal research etc. Is this likely to still be the case in person, or would we be more involved with work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.