TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexh13

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 26, 2021
Quick question for anyone with experience with Vero (background checks). Do they use the work experience section as part of the application as the starting point to know who to contact/breakdown of your responsibilities or do you give them a separate breakdown? Asking because I made a small mistake regarding dates in my work experience section (regarding the year of the work experience, not duration) and am a little scared this might be an issue. @Jessica Booker would you have any thoughts on this? Thank you!

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
I'm not a recruiter but I don't think one 2.2 grade in isolation would be an immediate no for an applicant if they met the academic criteria, however I wouldn't describe the subject as naff in an interview if questioned on it. I have been questioned on my lowest grade in an interview and gave a reasoned response as to why I thought it was lower and in what I took from that experience to ensure I didn't get a grade that low again.

Where it will make more of a difference is if your app is already borderline that could be what tips it into the no pile or if it came down to two applicants and the only distinguishing feature was better academics from another. I can imagine that would be the same for any candidate, and that consistent 2.1 can mean different things, consistent 60/61 or 68/69 are very different.
Thank you! And yes of course, I would never say it was naff in an interview. Could I ask you how you answered that question? I know it would be personal for everyone, but I don't want really want to just say 'I found it quite difficult to understand'.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I’ve never been asked what deals they’re currently working on. Has anyone been asked this in the past?

If it helps, for an AC where I was asked a deal I’ve found interesting, I stated what the deal was, why I personally found it interesting and then talked about why I thought it was relevant (a wider trend in emerging markets, etc) & if there was something particularly impressive about it (e.g. how it was financed, the number of jurisdictions involved, awards it won, etc). For its relevance, I Googled the deal beforehand, to see articles written about it outside of a law firm website/context. I don’t know if this is the right approach per say, but that’s what I did.

I didn’t speak for more than a minute, it came up towards the end because of something else I had mentioned. Overall, I don’t think firms are expecting you to recite those 3/4 paragraphs they write about the deal on the website, but it always helps to briefly outline the deal and why you picked that one. Of course, this is in the context of a deal that they’ve done, not sure if asking about an ongoing deal is common though. Hope it helps!
This is an excellent response! I agree that it would be unlikely for the question 'Do you know what deals we are currently working on?' to come up, but it is definitely still good to know about some deals so that you can bring them up of your own accord :)

• Love
Reactions: summer207

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
really silly question but how do I check which of the two summer schemes I applied for? and is it possible to change?
Depends on the firm, but for many you don’t apply to a specific scheme, you just apply and will then be allocated at the point of being offered or accepting the offer.

If you were asked to select scheme dates, then you’ll need to check your application for those details.

I would only recommend informing a firm of changing dates of you are at a final interview stage or offer stage.

Reactions: CF12345

fruiterloopers

Star Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    Sorry, I am not entirely sure what you mean here. Can you explain what you are trying to understand?
    Hey! sorry for being unclear, I guess I'm just wondering how they are generally assessed, is it the interviewers choosing who to invite? Do they communicate with grad rec who decides? Are the written application and psychometric tests considered? How does the written assessment factor in etc. I guess I'd just like to know a bit more about the process of evaluating candidates. Thank you!

CF12345

Distinguished Member
    Dec 6, 2020
    Depends on the firm, but for many you don’t apply to a specific scheme, you just apply and will then be allocated at the point of being offered or accepting the offer.

If you were asked to select scheme dates, then you’ll need to check your application for those details.

I would only recommend informing a firm of changing dates of you are at a final interview stage or offer stage.
    Thank you! Would it be wise to tell them if I have only got to AC stage or should I wait to see if I do get an offer?

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Hi all, has anybody ever taken a McQuaig Mental Agility test? I have been invited to take it for Trowers and haven't done it before. From my research, it seems like there will be mixed bag of 50 questions to answer in 15 mins and can vary from mathematical ability to general verbal reasoning. Trying to find some practice questions online.

If anybody has done it before, I would greatly appreciate any tips/practice resources. Thanks so much!

Reactions: Limanehious
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.