TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donuttime

Legendary Member
Premium Member
May 17, 2021
oh god just dawn on me. I have an in person interview on Friday. Surely I don't shake their hand ? As although we are nearly out the pandemic its not really appropriate/ safe yet? lol don't mind me stressing about tiny issues
oh wow never even thought of this. Maybe shake their hand then immediately apply hand sanitiser to show them your covid safe?

S30

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 19, 2019
Is anyone still waiting to hear back from W&C spring VS post application?
Honestly, what are they even planning at 😩😩
Hey - I applied a day before the deadline (spring scheme) and received a VI couple weeks back. I’m sure they are still going through applications slowly. As I’m still waiting to hear post-VI. Best of luck! ☺️

Reactions: CC03

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    oh god just dawn on me. I have an in person interview on Friday. Surely I don't shake their hand ? As although we are nearly out the pandemic its not really appropriate/ safe yet? lol don't mind me stressing about tiny issues

My suggestion is always to ask when you first meet them. It'll show your confidence and avoid a potentially-uncomfortable situation. Also gives you an immediate talking point!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Oh good question - it's strange, but I have gone right back to handshaking but I think it's where I have 18+ years of doing so it has been hard for me to not do it.

I don't think there is any harm in either 1) waiting for the other person to take the lead, 2) asking what the etiquette is these days/whether the individual is comfortable with a handshake or 3) declining (in the most polite and apologetic way) if someone goes to shake your hand and you don't want to.

LawfulRed

• Nov 17, 2020
    don't they only let you add 3 experiences on their form LOL
    I don't know specifically about that. However, if each experience is over a week it'll be fine.

As I said, this is only a rule of thumb that grad rec told me. So if you have less experience I am sure they will assess your application holistically .

Reactions: OB

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    Go for a fist bump. No worries about touching the dirty inside of your hands and you can show them you're down with the kids.

This is a joke, please don't do that.

LawfulRed

• Nov 17, 2020
    Go for a fist bump. No worries about touching the dirty inside of your hands and you can show them you're down with the kids.

This is a joke, please don't do that.
    default to fist bump unless they initiate the handshake first (provided that you are comfortable touching them)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    GR at Linklaters told me the rule of thumb is 4 weeks legal experience minimum for a direct TC, but ofc it may differ firm to firm
    Definitely won't be the case for other firms. Many firms will want to see some work experience and probably 4 weeks or so, but it doesn't necessarily need to be legal.

Reactions: LawfulRed and GXA123
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.