TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
why commercial law and why latham over another firm? This what I remember and not the exact words
could you please share what the application questions are?
Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer?
Why would you choose to train at Latham & Watkins over another firm?
Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application.

• 🏆
  • Love
Reactions: unserious candidate and S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
could you please share what the application questions are?
Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer? (max. 300 words)
Why would you choose to train at Latham & Watkins over another law firm? (max. 300 words)
Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application. (max. 300 words)

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Can I have your advice on how to show my interest/fascination with the corporate work.

My career has been mainly focused on litigation work but as we know during a tc you may experience different seats.
    Over the last few months I have completed free courses and law firms lead workshops on M&A and PE. How do I include these experiences in my application? This is particularly tricky when answering why this firm.
    Like you my career has been mainly focused on litigation so far. The way I (tried to) demonstrate interest in corporate was by trying to get a bigger picture understanding. For example, clients I had in litigation may have had issues stemming from their corporate practice. Or the litigation I was doing might influence the way they decide to structure themselves moving forward, or other related decisions they might take. I’d then tie it back by saying something along the lines of “having been briefly exposed to X challenge on the corporate side, I’d be keen to build on and improve my understanding of Y (fill in relevant corporate/transactional activity)”. I hope that makes sense! With your experience also doing workshops I’d use that to draw out specific examples of how that gave you a more holistic appreciation of the other team’s work and your client’s needs.

Hope that helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If my employment changes or I sit important assessments between now and my vac scheme in the summer, is this information I am expected to share with the grad recruitment team of the firm?
    What do you mean by important assessments?

If you are employed by another organisation during your vacation scheme (e.g. you are taking annual leave to attend the scheme), you will likely need to disclose this to 1) your current employer and 2) the vacation scheme law firm to ensure there aren't any conflicts of interest or to ensure you are still meeting the terms of your employment by both organisations.

If it is interim work that ends by the time you start your vacation scheme, then you can just update them during the scheme (no need to do it beforehand). Many firms will ask you to provide an updated application as part of a TC conversion process anyway.

Reactions: George Maxwell

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    hi team, hoping for some advice / a pick me up.

just had a brutal post-VI rejection from my top choice law firm, and have an exam starting in an hour. does anyone have any tips on how to quickly sort my mindset out so i don't screw the exam?
    Go for a walk and enjoy a flat white. Rejections stink but are not meant to be forever..I was rejected 3 times before landing my current role!
    Believe that things will come to you at your best time and can transform them into the most unbelievable experience.

lisa0410

Feb 6, 2020
    Has anyone ever seen/heard of associates switching practice areas after they're qualified? Probably more so within the same field e.g. M&A to capital markets, as opposed to a drastic change like M&A to arbitration. Do you qualify as a solicitor generally, or as a solicitor in a specific practice area? I feel like the idea of staying in one area for the rest of my career is daunting, what if I don't like it anymore lol
    My sister was a shipping lawyer (4 years PQE) and then became a family lawyer! I also have a colleague who was a family lawyer and switched to employment law when she was 2 years PQE). So it is possible

• ℹ️
    Reactions: George Maxwell and LEL
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.