TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hele25

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 5, 2021
Nervous Marc E Bassy GIF by Yung Bae

Casual mid-afternoon check of an application portal and the switch from “you have applied” to “you application has been reviewed and is currently being processed” is about the most panic inducing, impending doom set of words ever created. Lol

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
@George Maxwell How would you answer an interview question regarding how a firm remains competitive / HSF's competitive strategy? Thank you!

Looking forward to reading @George Maxwell 's thoughts but would like to add mine too as I have answered this question in the past.

Try to think of a few things that you think are the firm's strongest selling points for clients. Certain business development initiatives, strength of their core practice areas, their approach to delivering their legal services- pick anything that stands out to you the most and genuinely interests you from a client view point (it is important for me to emphasise this because it may differ from what you like about the firm as an aspiring solicitor).

Then look for other firms who could boast of similar selling points and identify what the firm you're applying to does differently/better re that particular point to demonstrate how they maintain competitive. This may take a lot of effort on your part because this information is not always readily available, but once you do this, you can rest assured that your answer will stand out.

In the end, put it all together in a neat structure. You could state the thing that you think makes the firm competitive ➡️ justify this with evidence and reasons (you can bring in figures, initiatives, awards etc. here)➡️ repeat for 2-4 points depending on how much time and capacity you have.

Reactions: Hele25 and CF12345

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Okay so I’ve applied to a rather small firm for a summer vac scheme (held in May🤷‍♀️), and I received confirmation that they’re received my application on the 13th of Feb, but nothing further.
When is it appropriate to send an email asking for an approximate timeline? I need to start planning time off work etc! Thanks! :)
You could email them now simply stating when you applied and when you can expect an outcome for your application without needing to mention that you're doing so to plan time off as that may come off as being slightly presumptive.

• 🤝
Reactions: Hele25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Sorry I was a bit confused haha. Can you explain more why firms will do that especially now? @Jessica Booker
They need people in the office to supervise you and also make sure you are ok/learning etc.

That is much trickier to do when people are working from home more. So finding supervisors who can supervise you is much trickier than it ever was before.

kat_

Valued Member
Premium Member
Nov 14, 2020
Just received an update from Mayer Brown that they cannot give me an offer at this time, but they said they are looking at increasing the numbers on the vacation scheme so may be in touch in due course regarding an offer...

Has anyone encountered this situation before lol, or has anyone received the same email?
I had two similar situations (VS and TC) at the end did not get either of them

• 🤝
Reactions: Miki3999

CF12345

Distinguished Member
Dec 6, 2020
@George Maxwell How would you answer an interview question regarding how a firm remains competitive / HSF's competitive strategy? Thank you!

Looking forward to reading @George Maxwell 's thoughts but would like to add mine too as I have answered this question in the past.

Try to think of a few things that you think are the firm's strongest selling points for clients. Certain business development initiatives, strength of their core practice areas, their approach to delivering their legal services- pick anything that stands out to you the most and genuinely interests you from a client view point (it is important for me to emphasise this because it may differ from what you like about the firm as an aspiring solicitor).

Then look for other firms who could boast of similar selling points and identify what the firm you're applying to does differently/better re that particular point to demonstrate how they maintain competitive. This may take a lot of effort on your part because this information is not always readily available, but once you do this, you can rest assured that your answer will stand out.

In the end, put it all together in a neat structure. You could state the thing that you think makes the firm competitive ➡️ justify this with evidence and reasons (you can bring in figures, initiatives, awards etc. here)➡️ repeat for 2-4 points depending on how much time and capacity you have.
thank you so much!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

Abii

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 1, 2021
PFO from w&c to finally end my application cycle. Having had interviews from 3 firms and flopping them all, I’m feeling seriously deflated. Does anyone have any tips/assurance to provide? I rly need it 😭
It’s really tough getting rejected after interview - I find those hurt more than a post application or tests PFO.

However the fact you got to interview with three firms is huge so be proud of that. And if you did it this cycle you can do it again next cycle but with all the knowledge of what an interview/AC is really like and use the feedback from this cycle to be even better next cycle and get those offers! You only need a yes from the one right firm - and this is coming from someone who it took 3 cycles to get an offer so I know how it feels.

rohit301099

Standard Member
Premium Member
Jan 8, 2022
Hi guys, unfortunately, I have not been successful this cycle because I only started thinking about a legal career in December... I am a third-year non-law student, and I have been offered a place to do an MA at the University of Cambridge (really fortunate). Still, I can't decide between doing that or applying for paralegal opportunities? Would a MA hurt my chances, or am I better off getting experience in Law? Any help would be appreciated! I just lost at what to do atm :) Currently, I have only a month's experience working in a solicitor's office, that I did at Sixth form.

• 🏆
Reactions: George Maxwell
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.