TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Would anyone be willing to advise me on what's the best next steps to take in my situation? I don't wanna derail this particular thread so happy to send someone a brief PM of my circumstances. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I wanna make sure I take the right steps to not reduce my chances of pursuing my ultimate goal. @AvniD @Jessica Booker @Jaysen

just tagging a couple of staff members in case...
Hi, please feel free to PM.

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen and NaimK

cr.02

Standard Member
Feb 25, 2022
To anyone who has accepted the VS offer for Osborne Clarke .. have you heard any confirmation of your acceptance yet? This is my first VS and I have no idea what happens, I accepted a week ago and have had no reply or anything is that normal
I accepted my VS offer for the Bristol office on Friday and haven’t had a confirmation either. It’s also my first so not got a clue either 🤣

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Hiya, does anyone have tips for Slaughters TC interview?? I remember reading @George Maxwell also interviewed at the firm, if you have any advice that'd be really appreciated! :)
Hi @SCN,

You are absolutely right I did interview at Slaughters.

My biggest tips in preparing is to:
  • Think through (as throughly as you can) the consequences of your answers. As I have mentioned elsewhere on the forum, in my experience I was asked to explain very specific assertions/details in my answers. To prepare for this, think about the sorts of holes the partners might pick in your responses. Think about the consistency of your reasoning and logic. Would it be possible illustrate the weakness of one of your answers by reductio ad absurdum or to get you to defend a morally questionable position as a result? For example, if you say that you want to work in commercial law because you are interested in business (which is an extremely broad statement), they might ask you what you mean by this. What is business? What attracts you to business/commerce? Surely there are more satisfying or fulfilling ways of spending your career? Why haven't you considered working with refugees or the impoverished? Have you considered entering a career where you could (arguably) have greater agency and make 'business-like decisions', rather than law, where you will mostly be detached from commercial decision-making (especially at the beginning of your career)?
  • Related to the point above, think before you speak. Do not give generic answers or be afraid of saying what you really think. The prospect of two partners picking holes in your responses is scary - but this does not mean that you should revert to being unambitious or 'safe' in your answers. Go for it! Stand your ground and do your utmost to reason clearly and logically. Try not to get rattled. Retain your agency and think before responding.
For your article section of your interview, this post should be useful. Jess's tips and Avni's thoughts might be helpful too. James' post also contains some useful things to consider.

Finally this post about how to prepare for ACs in general is worth a skim too.

I hope that helps!

@George Maxwell How would you answer an interview question regarding how a firm remains competitive / HSF's competitive strategy? Thank you! :)

@George Maxwell How would you answer an interview question regarding how a firm remains competitive / HSF's competitive strategy? Thank you!

Looking forward to reading @George Maxwell 's thoughts but would like to add mine too as I have answered this question in the past.

Try to think of a few things that you think are the firm's strongest selling points for clients. Certain business development initiatives, strength of their core practice areas, their approach to delivering their legal services- pick anything that stands out to you the most and genuinely interests you from a client view point (it is important for me to emphasise this because it may differ from what you like about the firm as an aspiring solicitor).

Then look for other firms who could boast of similar selling points and identify what the firm you're applying to does differently/better re that particular point to demonstrate how they maintain competitive. This may take a lot of effort on your part because this information is not always readily available, but once you do this, you can rest assured that your answer will stand out.

In the end, put it all together in a neat structure. You could state the thing that you think makes the firm competitive ➡️ justify this with evidence and reasons (you can bring in figures, initiatives, awards etc. here)➡️ repeat for 2-4 points depending on how much time and capacity you have.
Hi @CF12345,

This is a great question. I think @AvniD has pretty much summed up my approach to this question honestly.

Something that stands HSF against many of its competitors is that as a result of its "twin engine" model (i.e., strength in disputes/contentious work and transactional/non-contentious work), it has a robust financial outlook, regardless of the state stage of the global financial system.

I hope this helps 🙌

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi guys, unfortunately, I have not been successful this cycle because I only started thinking about a legal career in December... I am a third-year non-law student, and I have been offered a place to do an MA at the University of Cambridge (really fortunate). Still, I can't decide between doing that or applying for paralegal opportunities? Would a MA hurt my chances, or am I better off getting experience in Law? Any help would be appreciated! I just lost at what to do atm :) Currently, I have only a month's experience working in a solicitor's office, that I did at Sixth form.

Speaking as 'career changer' or someone approaching this whole TC/VS process about 5 years after university, I really would encourage you to focus on life experiences as much as just about what makes you a strong candidate for future TCs. My MA (unrelated to law) was one of the best years of my life, and the academic and other skills you will learn through an MA are immeasurably valuable. I always feel slightly sad seeing undergraduate students on this forum panicking about about getting a TC straight from uni, as there is so much more to life alongside that. Getting on an intense corporate train straight out of uni is not *always* the best thing. I used to regret not seeking paralegal opportunities or applying for TCs straight from university, but now I am so so grateful I have had the career/academic path that I have. You're still at university - you are so young and a year at Cambridge would be an incredible opportunity. Cambridge will also open a lot of doors for you. Massive congratulations for getting in!

You know your own circumstances better than me lol, but just wanted to share my perspective. Wishing you all the best.
@rohit301099 I don't think I could have put it ANY better than @lawlondon65- such great advice 👏 👏👏

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.