TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law009

Feb 25, 2022
Hi. I am in the process of applying to an international law firm for a TC and would really appreciate advice on whether I should mention a particular experience I have on the application form.

I am currently a paralegal and I sometimes have to work with Scottish lawyers and negotiate contractual terms with them.

I was thinking to somehow incorporate my experience in dealing with different legal jurisdictions as doing so entails excellent attention to detail to ensure that I am referring to the relevant laws which is a skill that I will be able to incorporate when working in an international firm, etc.

However, I am hesitant to include this within the application as I know that the jurisdictional rules that apply across the UK are largely similar. Do you think it would benefit me by mentioning this within my application?

kr253

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2021
Hi. I am in the process of applying to an international law firm for a TC and would really appreciate advice on whether I should mention a particular experience I have on the application form.

I am currently a paralegal and I sometimes have to work with Scottish lawyers and negotiate contractual terms with them.

I was thinking to somehow incorporate my experience in dealing with different legal jurisdictions as doing so entails excellent attention to detail to ensure that I am referring to the relevant laws which is a skill that I will be able to incorporate when working in an international firm, etc.

However, I am hesitant to include this within the application as I know that the jurisdictional rules that apply across the UK are largely similar. Do you think it would benefit me by mentioning this within my application?
Absolutely! I generally feel like you should include pretty much all experience in all applications as there are always transferrable skills, but this sounds particularly relevant to me!

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi guys,

Would you describe Stephenson Harwood as a medium-sized firm and compare it to Watson Farley or Reed Smith? I want to focus on the firm's international strategy which seems a bit on pause. The firm is strong in Asia, South-East Asia and Europe but it is not pushing further which could be also a positive considering the continental's growth.

What do you think?

Reactions: George Maxwell

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    If I have not had a vacation scheme offer yet, do I have any chance when applying to Training Contracts in upcoming months? Starting to lose hope while everyone around me seems to be getting offered 😔
    100% you have a chance. The amount of people I know who got 0 vacations schemes but broke through at TC offers in the summer is quite sizeable honestly. It’s kind of simple why. Most people are WAY better at applications after a year of writing applications. So be confident, use our help as a community, and keep firing those applications off. It only takes one grad recruiter who thinks your back story is unique enough to be the face of their firm ✌🏽😎

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2022
    100% you have a chance. The amount of people I know who got 0 vacations schemes but broke through at TC offers in the summer is quite sizeable honestly. It’s kind of simple why. Most people are WAY better at applications after a year of writing applications. So be confident, use our help as a community, and keep firing those applications off. It only takes one grad recruiter who thinks your back story is unique enough to be the face of their firm ✌🏽😎
    Thank you so much! This is really reassuring!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    If I have not had a vacation scheme offer yet, do I have any chance when applying to Training Contracts in upcoming months? Starting to lose hope while everyone around me seems to be getting offered 😔
    Agreed! I know people who applied to a lot of firms for vac scheme and did not get any offers, but subsequently did well in the direct TC round :) I myself got to interview stage at one firm for direct TC with the exact same app I had used for the vac scheme where I had been rejected at application stage 🤣 At the end of the day, sending in more applications (whether it is for vac schemes or direct TCs) can never hurt as you develop your application-writing skills and always have a shot with each one :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021

I think this sounds like a great experience to mention and I could be wrong, but my understanding is that Scots law has some significant differences from England & Wales law. If you have something specific to point to where you had to use your attention to detail to refer to the relevant laws then that will make this a great answer :)

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    Anyone heard from V&E or K&L Gates Post Interview? Expecting PFO now...

not sure about k&l gates, but i wouldn’t worry yet about V&E :)

i was told they were making decisions only after interviews were completed - and if i remember correctly, they had interviews all of last week. should be getting back to us in the next 10 days.

• 🤝
    Reactions: HopefulForALawJob and Embo

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey @GXA123,

I have never needed something like this before, so nothing immediately comes to mind. That being said, YouTube always has some fantastic resources for this sort of thing. I searched "financial statements" (as I am sure you have already done) and it seemed to throw up some useful content!

What prompted you to ask for this out of interest?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.