TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

London1021

Standard Member
Jan 31, 2022
Did anyone apply to Vinson & Elkins and is happy to tell me how they approached their cover letter?
Hi! So the letter is limited to 2 sides aka there's plenty of space. I'd detail the following:
  1. Why law
  2. Why V&E specifically (is it the training structure? the strength in energy? people you've met?)
  3. Why you for V&E (transferable skills, relevant experiences...basically any way you can excel as a trainee/add-value to the firm)
From interview experience, they deffo read it before hand (at least certain people on the panel did) and will base some questions of it so make sure you know the content well. At the same time I think it goes without saying that you should adhere to a KISS approach, no flowery language or unnecessary content - you'll have the chance to expand on those points and make them exciting during the interview.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

SKB

Premium Member
Jun 28, 2019
Has anyone heard from Gateley post AC? I recall them saying that we’ll hear back end of this week so I assume the responses will come out soon?👀🤞🏽
Funnily enough I have just heard back following this post! AC secured in the London office woo🥳 Emails going out by the looks of it so keep your eyes peeled.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Hi! So the letter is limited to 2 sides aka there's plenty of space. I'd detail the following:
  1. Why law
  2. Why V&E specifically (is it the training structure? the strength in energy? people you've met?)
  3. Why you for V&E (transferable skills, relevant experiences...basically any way you can excel as a trainee/add-value to the firm)
From interview experience, they deffo read it before hand (at least certain people on the panel did) and will base some questions of it so make sure you know the content well. At the same time I think it goes without saying that you should adhere to a KISS approach, no flowery language or unnecessary content - you'll have the chance to expand on those points and make them exciting during the interview.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thank you so much

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For those who applied for Akin Gump has anyone received a rejection post-WG. I did my WG back in mid-January and have still not heard back. I don't know if I should assume it as a rejection or not.

• Dislike
    Reactions: hungry_for_TC

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hey @aspiringlawyer123_,

That's awesome news! I will likely be meeting you later in the week then (come and say hello!) as all future trainees have been invited to a quiz at the office.

I agree with what @Jessica Booker has said on this. If I were me, I would ask my trainee buddy and supervisor. I would really emphasise that it is important that you listen to what they say too.

HSF is not a firm that will be impressed if you work late into the night against the advice of your supervisor. Ultimately your supervisor's feedback will determine whether or not you get the TC too and they will not be trying to catch you out.

In my experience, I was told that working extremely would just imply that I had not managed my time well. The firm wants vacation schemers to work in a sustainably and healthy way. Do not feel afraid to leave when you have finished your work. As Jess says, 1730 sounds like a sensible time to aim for!

Please do reach out if you have any further question too! I am excited for you.

How are you feeling ahead of starting @aspiringlawyer123_? Are you staying in London for the duration?
    Hey @aspiringlawyer123_, Did you make it to the firm drinks yesterday? How is the scheme going?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.