TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal86

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hi, I was rejected post AC last cycle and secured a vac scheme with the same firm this cycle. Some firms have restrictions on inviting you back for interview so it's good to check the website's FAQs which normally state this :)
Thanks! Do you have any tips on how to do better next time round?

Reactions: GXA123

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thanks! Do you have any tips on how to do better next time round?
    Try and make sure to get feedback for your AC, I was lucky to have a really helpful feedback call after mine and focussed on those points and built on my prep from before. Also I feel like each cycle you gain knowledge and confidence which also helps!

Reactions: ZaraB and Crystal86

NS95

Star Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, I was rejected post AC last cycle and secured a vac scheme with the same firm this cycle. Some firms have restrictions on inviting you back for interview so it's good to check the website's FAQs which normally state this :)
    I was rejected from Freshfields post WG last year and got a direct TC this year. Best thing to do is check with the firm. For example, I believe that Jones Day doesn’t allow people to reapply.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Can’t believe I’m finally saying this.. I just got off the phone with GR and after four cycles, I’ve finally got myself a training contract with a great international firm!

I cannot tell you how many times I have cried and wallowed in how disappointed I have been through all the rejections. I had been rejected at every stage in the process and each time it hurt more than the first. I felt demotivated that some people got 4+ vacation schemes in their first year and I had no such luck. Truly it had nothing to do with my potential, it was a mixture of learning, a whole lot of luck and waiting for the right moment for you.
    Congratulations!!!! This post made me feel more hopeful about my own journey!

Arendt0927

Junior Lawyer
    Apr 14, 2022
    Terribly disappointed in myself - first week of my first VS, trainee buddy gave me research work on GDPR indemnity etc., I really struggled to understand the context (I'm non-law) and the questions per se (despite that I've asked and reiterated the questions back to my Buddy two times), only after a full day of research did I realise everything I'd done was completely irrelevant, started all over again, didn't know how to use LexisNexis and where to look at in a case so spent more time with another trainee to learn doing that, ended up sending my Buddy a rather poorly written work literally the last minute, wow. I did mess up real hard - honestly frustrated.
    Guess the TC is no more; this is a good learning process for me (I now know Article 82 and 83 really well:)) but just extremely frustrated that I let her down.
    I'm planning to work a little longer today just to review and update the note, and next week I'll catch up with her to ask for feedback and talk through my struggles - anyone other suggestions on how I can remedy/maximise learning from this train wreck?

Last edited:

LawfulRust00

Legendary Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Terribly disappointed in myself - first week of my first VS, trainee buddy gave me research work on GDPR indemnity etc., I really struggled to understand the context (I'm non-law) and the questions per se (despite that I've asked and reiterated the questions back to my Buddy two times), only after a full day of research did I realise everything I'd done was completely irrelevant, started all over again, didn't know how to use LexisNexis and where to look at in a case so spent more time with another trainee to learn doing that, ended up sending my Buddy a rather poorly written work literally the last minute, wow. I did mess up real hard - honestly frustrated.
    Guess the TC is no more; this is a good learning process for me (I now know Article 82 and 83 really well:)) but just extremely frustrated that I let her down.
    I'm planning to work a little longer today just to review and update the note, and next week I'll catch up with her to ask for feedback and talk through my struggles - anyone other suggestions on how I can remedy/maximise learning from this train wreck?
    Don’t catastrophise it - it’s one mistake. Use it to your advantage - channel the disappointment into energy to show how good you really are and use it as a point of reflection in the final interview (if applicable).

HopefulFutureTrainee

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 23, 2022
    Hey, I'm really really sorry you're feeling like this! I know this may not help a lot, but remember that you're always going to be your harshest critic. The people from the firm are going to know you are non-law, and skills like reading a case and knowing how to find the right info don't come easy to anyone. I think being honest, and talking about your struggles is a great strategy, and from what you said I presume the vac scheme is two weeks - try and make the most of the time left, and don't let one not-so-great day influence all the rest. Wishing you all the good luck in the world!!!

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Would also appreciate any advice please! Thanks!
    For the written exercise, it's essentially an identify, explain and summarise task.

Timed at 75 mins, I was given 4 FT articles, asked to sum up the key points, identify any key issues and then offer some general advice to a fictional client. I think this is less about black letter law, but GR want to see if you can analyse, write concisely, in paragraphs, with good spelling and offer sensible advice. Use an executive summary, subheadings and make sure to write in a simple and clear way. If you have some, not overly complicated, legal knowledge - throw it in.

Hope that helps!

Abii

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Feb 1, 2021
    I’ve said it several times on this forum but everyone judges themselves in a much harsher manner than anyone else would. Something I do to bring myself back down when I’m spiralling/over-thinking something I have done is apply what I call the friend test - how would I judge a close friend that had done what I did, what would I tell them, it puts it back into perspective.

I will also add that my day job is GDPR and it is not an easy area of law - especially for someone with a non-law background!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    As many have said, we’re often our own harshest critic so don’t get too down in the dumps about it! I think a key thing to remember is that the ultimate goal is you want to save the associate time - if they have to redo all your work, you’ve not done a good job. That’s part and parcel of the learning curve though! There are going to be times you mess up and that’s okay. I’ve been in your shoes before and the thing I always kicked myself over after is that I didn’t use my time more productively. Next time you’re in a position like this (and I promise you, there will be a next time), give it a try for yourself for an hour and if you find yourself struggling draft a list of questions and ask them all in one go instead of drip feeding them to your supervisor. Of course you want to give the impression of independence and not needing to have your hand held, but there are times it is better to pester someone with a list of questions instead of wasting time doing things incorrectly. You did a great job asking that fellow trainee how to navigate Lexis Nexus - that kind of initiative is very useful. While being a trainee is partially knowing when to take a crack at it, a good part of it is also knowing when to ask for help . It’s a fine line (but god do I walk it hard!), but you’ll figure it out :) chin up - next week is another chance!

LongSufferingLawGrad

Distinguished Member
  • Nov 7, 2021
    Don't panic! Your work is not expected to be perfect or completely mistake free, nor is it expected to be client or partner ready.

All that is required is a good effort and decent commitment to the work. If you can demonstrate you have put something fairly considered together, and you then you can breathe easy. Also, your TC will not hang on a single piece of work - your team will take a clear, holistic overview of your entire time at the firm!

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    For the written exercise, it's essentially an identify, explain and summarise task.

Timed at 75 mins, I was given 4 FT articles, asked to sum up the key points, identify any key issues and then offer some general advice to a fictional client. I think this is less about black letter law, but GR want to see if you can analyse, write concisely, in paragraphs, with good spelling and offer sensible advice. Use an executive summary, subheadings and make sure to write in a simple and clear way. If you have some, not overly complicated, legal knowledge - throw it in.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you!

Do you have to identify, explain and summarise each article (treating each article separately); or do you read the articles together and then identify, explain, summarise?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.