TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    From my understanding you would do seats in different business services areas (e.g. at A&O you would go into project management, consulting etc). None of this work would be legal so you would not be any closer to qualifying as a solicitor, you would just have a really good inside knowledge of how law firms work 2 years down the line. You would also need to show how you're dedicated to business services and not just applying as a Plan B, and then explain later on at TC interviews why you went down that grad scheme and are now pursuing a TC.
    Yes I am aware that there are different seats.

Thank you very much this is really helpful. I agree with the thing about simply as a TC alternative.

Reactions: OB

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    from my own understanding it doesn't amount to a training contract, I think it is basically like any other graduate scheme, also I think most firms that would invest in you in that area would like to stay there! so it is something to consider if you are passionate about and would see yourself working in in the future, because it is not an easy route and could be harder than a tc because it is still new and developing and requires lots of innovation and maybe coding!

edit: they also don't require a legal background for applying therefore I don't think it could amount to qualifying as a solicitor (not sure about this).

Hope this helps a bit.
    Thank you for this and I agree that it is harder than getting a TC my friend told me that also.

Reactions: GXA123

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    How long do law firms usually take to get back to people after vacation scheme conversion interviews (during the Easter period!) and that long ass Easter weekend? I know from summer and winter vac schemes a lot of people heard back on the Monday after finishing on the Friday, but I’m here on the following Thursday practically dying to hear the phone ring. It doesn’t appear as if anyone has heard back in my cohort either. Need some moral support

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How long do law firms usually take to get back to people after vacation scheme conversion interviews (during the Easter period!) and that long ass Easter weekend? I know from summer and winter vac schemes a lot of people heard back on the Monday after finishing on the Friday, but I’m here on the following Thursday practically dying to hear the phone ring. It doesn’t appear as if anyone has heard back in my cohort either. Need some moral support
    Some firms won't make decisions until their summer schemes have concluded. Its not overly common, but does happen enough.

If I hadn't heard back mid part of next week (and no one else in your cohort had) I would contact the firm to ask when you will hear back.

One tip for those with summer schemes is to ask when you will hear back before you leave. It is a very standard question the GR team will be expecting to be asked.

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    Some firms won't make decisions until their summer schemes have concluded. Its not overly common, but does happen enough.

If I hadn't heard back mid part of next week (and no one else in your cohort had) I would contact the firm to ask when you will hear back.

One tip for those with summer schemes is to ask when you will hear back before you leave. It is a very standard question the GR team will be expecting to be asked.
    We were told we would hear back within 2 weeks, but I was curious to ask here because I know from the past 4-5 vacation scheme groups that people have heard back from anywhere ranging between 3 days to 14 days 🤧 it’s stressing me out so much

• 🤝
    Reactions: Scandi

banana1189

Apr 4, 2022
    Video interview with WBD! Does anyone know what to expect? (ie competency based or about the firm). Would appreciate if someone can let me know (either here or on message :))
    Hi! I did mine a couple hours ago and I think it went so well, so don't worry!!

I don't know what I am allowed to say about it so I'll keep it brief, however, it was very short and the answers are only 90 seconds long. You can re-film your answer once too which is reassuring!

All in all they're very simple questions!

Good luck!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.