TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandi

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 28, 2021
    How long do law firms usually take to get back to people after vacation scheme conversion interviews (during the Easter period!) and that long ass Easter weekend? I know from summer and winter vac schemes a lot of people heard back on the Monday after finishing on the Friday, but I’m here on the following Thursday practically dying to hear the phone ring. It doesn’t appear as if anyone has heard back in my cohort either. Need some moral support
    I'm in the exact same boat! If anything, I feel you. You got this!

law23

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 23, 2022
    How long do law firms usually take to get back to people after vacation scheme conversion interviews (during the Easter period!) and that long ass Easter weekend? I know from summer and winter vac schemes a lot of people heard back on the Monday after finishing on the Friday, but I’m here on the following Thursday practically dying to hear the phone ring. It doesn’t appear as if anyone has heard back in my cohort either. Need some moral support
    I'm in a similar situation too, but they didn't give an exact time frame for letting us know. Refreshing emails like mad rn!

rightletsdothis

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 30, 2022
    @Jessica Booker
    If I was to be offered a TC after a VS at a regional office, do you think it would be at all possible to request that I do the TC in the firms London office even if I applied for regional?
    Jessica is def the best person to answer this but from my experience at the firm I have gone through you can’t (they require you to be interviewed by partners located in the London office or vice Versa) but that just means it’s prob a “depends on the firm” answer to this question !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker
    If I was to be offered a TC after a VS at a regional office, do you think it would be at all possible to request that I do the TC in the firms London office even if I applied for regional?
    You can ask, but the firm may not be willing to convert you over.

Regional firms have had decades of people trying to game the recruitment process by applying to vacancies they think are less popular, secure a TC and then ask to be moved to (what is perceived to be) a more popular office.

It wouldn’t be unknown for the firm to tell you to reapply for the other office. It is really going to depend on the firms attitude towards this and how strong a candidate you are to them.

Reactions: rightletsdothis

captainhilts

Star Member
    Aug 22, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker,

If I have vacation schemes over summer, would it be worth applying to TCs now? I have little legal work exp. currently, but many TC apps (S&M for instance) open in June and recruit on a rolling basis. Would it be sensible to wait and apply after my vac schemes? Or should I mention to grad rec that I have upcoming vac schemes?

Thanks

letmeintolaw

Distinguished Member
    Nov 11, 2021
    For this question:

Please list any voluntary work experience that you may have, including one week and one day placements. Please specify the name of the organisation, location and dates of the placement

I dont really have anything to say as I have already listed my work experience and volunteering in another section? Can I include virtual internships here or is that not appropriate?

antisocial applicant

Esteemed Member
    Jan 12, 2022
    Hi! I did mine a couple hours ago and I think it went so well, so don't worry!!

I don't know what I am allowed to say about it so I'll keep it brief, however, it was very short and the answers are only 90 seconds long. You can re-film your answer once too which is reassuring!

All in all they're very simple questions!

Good luck!
    If you choose to re-fillm them, do they set any kind of time limit? (E.g. you have 30 seconds to decide whether to re-fillm or move on?)

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    @Jessica Booker any tips on how to prep for a paralegal interview please?

Or anyone who could help :)
    I would say prep for the usual topics of why law, why the firm, why the department, why the paralegal role, why you.

If it will be your first paralegal role, make sure to bring in all your transferrable skills and experience. Have a couple of questions prepared for the end. Also, be ready to discuss your long-term plans around TCs and qualification.

I hope that helps!

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    @Jessica Booker any tips on how to prep for a paralegal interview please?

Or anyone who could help :)

I would say prep for the usual topics of why law, why the firm, why the department, why the paralegal role, why you.

If it will be your first paralegal role, make sure to bring in all your transferrable skills and experience. Have a couple of questions prepared for the end. Also, be ready to discuss your long-term plans around TCs and qualification.

I hope that helps!
    Seasoned paralegal here ✌🏻One question I’d recommend that people love to hear is “could you give me a sense of the dynamic of the team and how you see me fitting into that as a paralegal?” Gives you the chance to hear more about the kind of work you can expect to get and a get a feel for how the team is run.

Reactions: OB
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.