TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Would it be appropriate to use STAR for the first question? The question refers to 'skills' and 250words seem a bit limited to write out multiple experiences and using STAR.
No - STAR only works for competency questions. This needs to list out all your activities in 250 words, which means you won’t have the ability to do a full STAR format. Just focus on your responsibilities and achievements

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No - STAR only works for competency questions. This needs to list out all your activities in 250 words, which means you won’t have the ability to do a full STAR format. Just focus on your responsibilities and achievements
    Is this referring to the A&O vacation scheme application question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    should we also be writing our work experience summaries as a list of responsibilities and achievements? or are we expected to adopt STAR? thanks
    STAR is only appropriate for competency questions (tell me about a time you…. Type questions) that are asking you to describe a particular skill/competency.

Focus your work experience sections on responsibilities, achievements and personal impact.

Reactions: OB and BiancaM

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Last year in the forum someone shared their spreadsheet about law firm applications and that person allowed me to use their spreadsheet for the application tracker. If anyone wants to use the spreadsheet also here it is and this spreadsheet is really good for application tracking.

Attachments

• law firm deadlines Asil September 2021-September 2022.xlsx
      12.4 KB · Views: 249

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    hi does anyone know with the A&O app, if you can review your answers before submission or if it doesn't allow you to go back a page?
    I think its always good practice to save answers ahead - I recommend using 'OneDrive'. Then just copy and paste over when you are done.

This also saves you if you ever use CVmail which doesn't let you see your app (if you forget to download) and if you get invited to interview.

Reactions: k.k

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    hi does anyone know with the A&O app, if you can review your answers before submission or if it doesn't allow you to go back a page?
    There's a review page where you can view it all and go back and change sections :)

Ngl their website/platform is probably my least favourite of them all hahah give me apply4law anyday

Reactions: k.k and A M

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey everyone,

In the the A&O Winter VS application, there are these two questions "Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. And "Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful". Both are 250 words max.

This might be a silly question but do you think it is better to use bullet points or short paragraphs when answering these questions?

Any advice would be helpful, thank you :)
    Responses like this should absolutely be written in prose. They are testing your ability to draft in a clear, concise manner by giving you short word counts in responses like this.

Reactions: kr and OB

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I think its always good practice to save answers ahead - I recommend using 'OneDrive'. Then just copy and paste over when you are done.

This also saves you if you ever use CVmail which doesn't let you see your app (if you forget to download) and if you get invited to interview.
    Completely agree here - always recommend drafting in a competent word processor - eg Google Docs, MSWord or Apple Sheets - and then copying and pasting responses over when you're satisfied with them.

Using tools like word counters, in-built spelling/ grammar/ syntax checkers, etc make it a lot easier to draft your responses and then just fire them into the application page as and when you go to submit.

Almost every major application platform will permit you to go back and forth through the app though, and will almost invariably include a final "check all content" type page where you can assess everything you've inputted through the whole application.

Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What about for the responsibilities and skills for work experience sections? Should we also do prose for that? If yes, how detailed should it be? Similar to a CV or more in depth?
    Yes prose unless the application form allows you to format bullet points. It should as detailed as your CV but in prose

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.