TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi. Would anyone please tell me vacational schemes would be online this winter 2021 in the UK? As I cannot attention physically there

tha my oh
I suspect most firms will be aiming for in person events. Are you an international student studying outside of the UK?

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Hey everyone,

In the the A&O Winter VS application, there are these two questions "Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities. And "Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful". Both are 250 words max.

This might be a silly question but do you think it is better to use bullet points or short paragraphs when answering these questions?

Any advice would be helpful, thank you :)
Thanks for sharing Karina. Are these the only two questions in the application?

ALM_3

Aug 20, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm a mature student studying Chinese at a Russell Group university. I will graduate in July 2022 and I'm interested in becoming a solicitor. I'm seeking further information about the route towards training at the moment and so I've signed up for Open Days however I'm aware that the vacation scheme deadlines will be approaching in October and November. Is it too late for me to apply for a 2021 winter vacation scheme and start a Training Contract in 2024?

So far, I've seen that the TC deadlines end before the winter vacation schemes start. So, would firms offer 2024 start Training Contracts directly from this year's winter vacation cohort? Or is it the normal process to attend a VS and then afterwards apply for a TC as a direct applicant?

I've seen that some firms only allow one VS or TC per application cycle and I'm a little bit confused.

Thanks for any help

- A

k.k

Apr 29, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm a mature student studying Chinese at a Russell Group university. I will graduate in July 2022 and I'm interested in becoming a solicitor. I'm seeking further information about the route towards training at the moment and so I've signed up for Open Days however I'm aware that the vacation scheme deadlines will be approaching in October and November. Is it too late for me to apply for a 2021 winter vacation scheme and start a Training Contract in 2024?

So far, I've seen that the TC deadlines end before the winter vacation schemes start. So, would firms offer 2024 start Training Contracts directly from this year's winter vacation cohort? Or is it the normal process to attend a VS and then afterwards apply for a TC as a direct applicant?

I've seen that some firms only allow one VS or TC per application cycle and I'm a little bit confused.

Thanks for any help

- A
Hi A, at the end of most vac schemes, you automatically have a TC interview - so you wouldn't have to reapply as a direct TC applicant.

Reactions: ALM_3

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Thanks for any help

- A
Definitely not too late - I don’t think any firm has closed application for winter schemes yet and many haven’t even opened applications for winter schemes yet.

As mentioned below, if you secure a VS there is typically a conversion assessment process off the back of it, which means it doesn’t matter if the scheme itself starts after TC deadlines. As you’ll probably only be able to complete one winter scheme though, you may want to make a mixture of direct TC and some VS apps.

Reactions: ALM_3

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi. Would anyone please tell me vacational schemes would be online this winter 2021 in the UK? As I cannot attention physically there
    I think this is very firm dependant and we cannot answer these kind of questions as some firms are still deciding.

I would send an email to Grad Rec - see what they say.

• Love
    Reactions: OB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I sent them an email as well but I am afraid it is. could someone post the email reply. Thank you so much :)
    Could you post yours too?

@Rob93 - any chance you could post your confirmation from A&O.

Usually if something is compulsory for an application, you wouldn’t be able to submit the application with out it.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you think it is better to submit it?
    I will post the reply once I receive it.
    No - I don’t think there is any need to submit.

You can post now, I don’t see any need to wait as it will help our wider members who are reading this now.

It may be as simple as you are applying for a different programme/opportunity that required a cover letter, and that’s where the discrepancy is.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    No - I don’t think there is any need to submit.

You can post now, I don’t see any need to wait as it will help our wider members who are reading this now.

It may be as simple as you are applying for a different programme/opportunity that required a cover letter, and that’s where the discrepancy is.
    I have sent grad recruitment an email but I haven't got the response yet hahaha

001CLO

• Jun 21, 2021
    Hi everyone,
    A&O's website suggests that the SJT would include verbal and numerical reasoning-based questions. Does anybody have any idea of the kind of questions that one could practice to pass this? [Their sample question is strictly an SJT type question, no other sample questions on website atleast]. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, my application portal for the A&O winter scheme doesn't mention that the CV or Cover Letter is optional. Just wanted to double check before I mess up my application that we don't have to include these docs?
    everything our members have heard directly from A&O, including people who have been brand ambassadors, have said you don’t need to include them.

Reactions: ScrappyDoo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.