TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone received an email from Simmons & Simmons saying that they didn't receive your online test and are withdrawing your application? I completed the test in time and it says completed on the online portal so a bit worrying!
    Oh yikes I haven't had that but definitely contact them!!

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    I would not bullet point this. Just pick a few main events and detail what they helped you learn about commercial law. Whenever I wrote my answers to this, I tried to create a narrative by explaining what the different open days taught me about the practice areas I was interested in, the kind of training I would like etc. Definitely highlight the events where you've met the firm but feel free to include events wth other firms too. These kind of questions just want to test that you've actually done your research and invested time into deciding f the career is right for you.
    Thank you for this!

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    When listing your work experience, where it asks you to select if the job was 'law related' - what are the parameters of this? Does this mean it has to be a distinctly recognised legal position? Or could you fairly select a job being 'law related' if it were, such in my position, very heavily law orientated in terms of assisting with legal contracts, assisting a lawyer, etc. Don't want to make it look like I'm reaching for a 'law related' position but also want them to recognise I have been heavily involved with law-related processes and work. Worth a try - let me know thoughts please! Thank you.

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    And while I'm here - can I ask opinions on how far back you should list work experience? As I'm a career changer and graduated a few years ago, I've had quite a bit of work to list. Is it still worth listing uni/pre-uni jobs such as bar work, retail? Only thinking to do so is to show work ethic throughout education... please correct me if I'm wrong! @Jessica Booker Thanks! x

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    This question is in Hogan Lovells' application:

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector (250 words)

How on earth am I meant to tackle this! I have never been to an open day. I have attended online events such as Legal Cheek etc but I would struggle to succinctly discuss this in 250 words. Not sure what they are looking for here to be honest...

Would appreciate any advice!!

Reactions: dangelataher

elizabethjo123

Star Member
    Jan 7, 2021
    Kind of stressing out because of HSF's feedback for the assessment -- they didn't indicate how well I did on leadership skills and said: "Your responses to our questions relating to this competency indicate to us that you are likely to: focus more on your current workload, rather than investing significant time in building personal relationships and furthering your own development; and focus on completing work to the standard required at the expense of communicating with the wider team." Is this bad enough that I won't be progressed? I did get 'very high' on the other three competencies though?

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    deadline is next week right?

you'll probably be fine, if i remember correctly most people don't apply until deadline day
    thank you! cutting it short.. does anyone have any input on applying to a direct TC as a person with no previous vac scheme experience but have done internship? law grad

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Kind of stressing out because of HSF's feedback for the assessment -- they didn't indicate how well I did on leadership skills and said: "Your responses to our questions relating to this competency indicate to us that you are likely to: focus more on your current workload, rather than investing significant time in building personal relationships and furthering your own development; and focus on completing work to the standard required at the expense of communicating with the wider team." Is this bad enough that I won't be progressed? I did get 'very high' on the other three competencies though?
    Don't worry- HSF's reports usually come out with something like this. 9 times out of 10, SJT reports make inaccurate, broad-brush and unfair statements about your personality.

I'm sure HSF are well aware of this- I'd be surprised if it was the lone decisive factor determining your application's outcome.

Reactions: elizabethjo123

M777

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    thank you! cutting it short.. does anyone have any input on applying to a direct TC as a person with no previous vac scheme experience but have done internship? law grad
    Plenty of people get TC offers without vac scheme experience. I've attended TC interviews with zero vac schemes. Go for it.

Last edited:
    Reactions: S30, OB and GXA123

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    Can anyone post Hogan Lovells application questions?
    Hey, below are the questions for the VS app.

We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?
    Max 250 words

Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit.
    Max 250 words

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector
    Max 250 words

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.
    Optional
    Max 250 words

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Hey, below are the questions for the VS app.

We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?
    Max 250 words

Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit.
    Max 250 words

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector
    Max 250 words

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.
    Optional
    Max 250 words
    Thank you!

Reactions: Bugsy Malone
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.