TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celestie

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hey, below are the questions for the VS app.

We set our standards high, and we trust our people to hold themselves accountable for meeting other people's expectations. Describe a time when you had to drop everything and really 'raise your game' in order to keep a promise you had made to someone else. How did you manage both this and your other commitments?
    Max 250 words

Sustaining a successful and profitable practice requires both commercial awareness and innovative thinking. Tell us about something that you have done that shows you have a strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit.
    Max 250 words

Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector
    Max 250 words

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application.
    Optional
    Max 250 words
    Damn these are some good questions ahahha

• Haha
    Reactions: OB

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    It's been 10 years since I did my GCSEs and 8 years since I did my A levels. I currently have an LLB and LLM.

Will law firms actually look at my GCSEs/A levels and verify the accuracy of the grades listed on my application? I honestly cannot remember some of my grades.

I’m also a bit worried as my A levels are awful but I still managed to get into a top uni and do well.
    Hiya, for my law firm they asked me to send transcripts for my GCSE grades/ A level grades and uni grades before I did my VS so I would say it's important to be accurate if you can!

IJ6238

Feb 17, 2021
    Has anybody received a WG invite for Hogan Lovells this year?? I asked grad recruitment if they have changed their application process and they said no however in past years a WG invite was automatic.

jv1999

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 11, 2021
    Has anybody received a WG invite for Hogan Lovells this year?? I asked grad recruitment if they have changed their application process and they said no however in past years a WG invite was automatic.
    I applied 8 days ago for winter VS and only got my WG invite yesterday. I assume it is automatic but clearly can take some time to come through!

Reactions: IJ6238 and GXA123

lawyering

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 29, 2020
    Coming from someone who hasn't heard anything since submitting for Winter - just got off the phone with A&O GR and they have said there have been continued technical issues with SJT scores coming through, but that they will be working through these manually starting today!

So for those who have passed but haven't heard anything since, the above is probably why - and for those like myself who haven't heard anything yet, hopefully something soon!

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    I am starting to wonder if there is even point in me submitting the HL application because of the "Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector" question.... I can speak of a few events I've attended but that is it... cannot see it being looked upon with too much joy!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It's been 10 years since I did my GCSEs and 8 years since I did my A levels. I currently have an LLB and LLM.

Will law firms actually look at my GCSEs/A levels and verify the accuracy of the grades listed on my application? I honestly cannot remember some of my grades.

I’m also a bit worried as my A levels are awful but I still managed to get into a top uni and do well.
    Yes, they will potentially ask for them and also verify them. If you are asked to include them in an application, there is a chance they will be verified.

If you don’t know your grades, it’s time to find out really. It is very straight forward to find out what your grades are if you are unsure and firms won’t really like the excuse that you don’t know them, no matter how old they are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am starting to wonder if there is even point in me submitting the HL application because of the "Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector" question.... I can speak of a few events I've attended but that is it... cannot see it being looked upon with too much joy!
    You have some events to talk about! It’s not like you haven’t got any evidence. I think you are selling yourself short.

Reactions: MizM

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Coming from someone who hasn't heard anything since submitting for Winter - just got off the phone with A&O GR and they have said there have been continued technical issues with SJT scores coming through, but that they will be working through these manually starting today!

So for those who have passed but haven't heard anything since, the above is probably why - and for those like myself who haven't heard anything yet, hopefully something soon!
    Ooo ok this makes sense. I got a reply today from Grad Rec saying I had passed the test even though I hadn't got an email saying so. So fingers crossed for everyone else who hasn't heard :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: ZaraB, tt_xo and lawyering

jv1999

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 11, 2021
    Anyone know if you get a confirmation email after completing the WG for HL? I submitted mine and thought it would take me to an equal opportunities monitoring form but it just said 'thank you for completing the test - You may close the window now' and then received no confirmation email for receipt of the test.

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Thank you! Do you think that not hitting the word count (250 words) for this question will be viewed unfavourably?
    Just to chip in, I don't think this question will be the deciding factor for your whole application! To build on what @Jessica Booker has said, you have attended a couple of events so just expand on these a little more. If you pick out a couple of things that stood out to you (i.e. you learnt about the role of a trainee, a certain practice group, any commercial events impacting deals/transactions) you will be surprised at how long your answer can be!

But also, don't write endlessly for the sake of it. if you reach 200 words, I'm sure that will be absolutely fine! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.