TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I met an associate and a trainee from a firm im applying to at a work lunch. We spoke about the firm and they knew I had applied to law firms previously. Of course this interaction gave me an interesting insight into the firm and has led me to apply but I’m wary of naming them in the cover letter? Does any one have advice about what to do in this case?

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    I met an associate and a trainee from a firm im applying to at a work lunch. We spoke about the firm and they knew I had applied to law firms previously. Of course this interaction gave me an interesting insight into the firm and has led me to apply but I’m wary of naming them in the cover letter? Does any one have advice about what to do in this case?
    You can drop them a message on Linkedin asking them if they don't mind, or just refer to them as "associate" and "trainee".

Reactions: thirdtimelucky

Kareena

Dec 19, 2020
    I am a third-year law student, I am applying for VS's but was wondering if I should waste time applying for insight days now? or should I just stick to VS/TC applications at this stage?

Any advice?

WillF

Star Member
    Jul 31, 2021
    Hey,

I'm really struggling with two of the questions on HL's application: the one regarding 'raising your game' and managing commitments, and (especially) the question on having strong innovative or entrepreneurial spirit - I don't feel as though I have done anything that could be really 'innovative' or 'entrepreneurial'. Has anyone got any suggestions about the types of things you could discuss for these?

Also - what sort of things would/should be included in the optional further information question (again, for HL).

Thanks everyone!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know what an invigilated online case study will entail? Does this mean I am allowed no notes?
    It's likely to mean that someone will just be present (like an exam invigilator). You are unlikely to be able to take documents in with you, but could make notes during the task.

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I am currently applying for a vs, but when I paste my answer the system states that I wrote more than 250 words. FYI I am using cvmail website which is becoming my new nightmare.

Thank you in advance.

Reactions: GXA123

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    I am a third-year law student, I am applying for VS's but was wondering if I should waste time applying for insight days now? or should I just stick to VS/TC applications at this stage?

Any advice?
    I went to loads of insight days in my third year of my law degree before getting my TC.i think they can be really instrumental in demonstrating your interest in a certain area of law or a certain firm. Not all firms offer insight days for non first years but I would say apply to any, and as many, as you can. You can put them on TC and VS applications, several firms I know dedicate a specific section to them.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is there real meaning/purpose to naming them? It sounds like you had decided to apply to the form before you met them. Is there anything from conversation that has changed your opinions/view of the firm that is substantial enough to reference in a cover letter?

SebKru10

Star Member
    Apr 15, 2021
    I still haven't got PFO from A&O despite the approaching deadline and the fact that I submitted my application at the end of September (I got the SJT results 2 weeks ago :)) Does it equal rejection or is there still a slight chance of getting invited to the AC?

MillyWills

Jun 15, 2021
    I still haven't got PFO from A&O despite the approaching deadline and the fact that I submitted my application at the end of September (I got the SJT results 2 weeks ago :)) Does it equal rejection or is there still a slight chance of getting invited to the AC?
    Why would it equal a rejection if you submitted at the end of September?

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    You can drop them a message on Linkedin asking them if they don't mind, or just refer to them as "associate" and "trainee".
    I agree. Also, if you choose to mention someone you've met at a networking event/open day, it would be good to explain why that interaction was interesting
    For such question:
    Why would you choose to train at Latham & Watkins over another firm? (300 words)

Do you think they want me to name drop another firm?
    I don’t think so, I personally wouldn’t. I see this question as another way of saying “why x firm?” it’s just a different way of phrasing the question which allows the candidate to be very specific about their reasons for applying to L&W.

Open to hearing what others think though.

Last edited:

Samir_O

Legendary Member
    Oct 5, 2021
    Hi everyone - As I completed my Linklaters online test close to the deadline, I have 5 days starting yesterday to complete my Watson Glaser test. This means that I can go beyond the application deadline (14th oct), right?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.