TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I just did mine today. I don’t think it went too well to be honest, the logical test was really unusual. How did you find it?
    I'm not confident with the tests but think I did ok on the VI and written so hoping that has more weighting!

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    Hi guys, interested to hear people's views on this. I have just received a TC offer, which I am currently yet to accept. I have now just been invited to an assessment centre at another firm for a winter vac, is it acceptable for me to attend? To reiterate, I haven't accepted my TC offer and I think it would be an interesting experience (and possibly a good opportunity to have more career options).
    There is nothing to stop you from doing that if you are not under a time restraint to respond to the TC offer.

I am going to be completely blunt with you as I sense you already know the answer to your question. I think it is selfish to hoard offers. You have a TC offer, just accept it and keep it moving.

I don't understand why people do what you are proposing to do. Just accept your TC and let someone else have a chance of getting a winter vacation scheme/TC.

Going on a winter vacation scheme does nothing for career options. You must know by now that law is right for you. You must have also done your research on the firms before applying. Therefore, just accept your TC offer and keep it moving.

Before anybody comes for me, I am not bitter or jealous. I already have a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There is nothing to stop you from doing that if you are not under a time restraint to respond to the TC offer.

I am going to be completely blunt with you as I sense you already know the answer to your question. I think it is selfish to hoard offers. You have a TC offer, just accept it and keep it moving.

I don't understand why people do what you are proposing to do. Just accept your TC and let someone else have a chance of getting a winter vacation scheme/TC.

Going on a winter vacation scheme does nothing for career options. You must know by now that law is right for you. You must have also done your research on the firms before applying. Therefore, just accept your TC offer and keep it moving.

Sorry if this comes across as blunt, that was kind of my intention. Before anybody comes for me, I am not bitter or jealous. I already have a TC.
    I disagree with this on some level.

If everyone did this, they would have to accept the first offer they received and many people would end up at firms that are not right for them.

The OP should:

- Consider taking the AC if there is a strong chance they would consider a TC with the vac scheme firm over their current TC offer firm
    - Withdraw from the recruitment process for the vac scheme firm if there is practically no chance in them accepting a TC with them over their TC offered firm

What isn't right is hoarding more than one offer at a time though - this is what I have an issue with as it ultimately stops other people from getting jobs. You should also withdraw from recruitment processes or renege offers in a timely manner - too many people "fear" the withdrawal/renege process and put it off to the last possible moment, which again means other people miss out on the opportunity.

However, as the OP has only one TC offer currently, I personally don't see an issue with them carrying on if it is something that helps them with the current career decisions and helps them choose the right firm for them.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021

Sorry if this comes across as blunt, that was kind of my intention. Before anybody comes for me, I am not bitter or jealous. I already have a TC.
    I do agree with some of the things you are saying, and I want to be clear that I haven't entertained the idea with any serious intention!

For the sake of playing devils advocate, let's assume I wanted a TC at the firm which has now offered me a vacation scheme. Does it make you a terribly selfish person to pursue your dream firm, even if you have an offer elsewhere? Personally, I think not. That is not to say that I am not sympathetic to the entire process of getting a TC offer in the first place because, believe me, I am. I personally just think that everyone should pursue their own career ambitions to the best of their ability, even if that means being 'selfish' in your eyes.

That being said, I have accepted my offer (as of this afternoon), so no hard feelings! :)

shadow-demon

Star Member
    May 9, 2021
    I disagree with this on some level.

If everyone did this, they would have to accept the first offer they received and many people would end up at firms that are not right for them.

The OP should:

- Consider taking the AC if there is a strong chance they would consider a TC with the vac scheme firm over their current TC offer firm
    - Withdraw from the recruitment process for the vac scheme firm if there is practically no chance in them accepting a TC with them over their TC offered firm

What isn't right is hoarding more than one offer at a time though - this is what I have an issue with as it ultimately stops other people from getting jobs. You should also withdraw from recruitment processes or renege offers in a timely manner - too many people "fear" the withdrawal/renege process and put it off to the last possible moment, which again means other people miss out on the opportunity.

However, as the OP has only one TC offer currently, I personally don't see an issue with them carrying on if it is something that helps them with the current career decisions and helps them choose the right firm for them.

I do agree with some of the things you are saying, and I want to be clear that I haven't entertained the idea with any serious intention!

For the sake of playing devils advocate, let's assume I wanted a TC at the firm which has now offered me a vacation scheme. Does it make you a terribly selfish person to pursue your dream firm, even if you have an offer elsewhere? Personally, I think not. That is not to say that I am not sympathetic to the entire process of getting a TC offer in the first place because, believe me, I am. I personally just think that everyone should pursue their own career ambitions to the best of their ability, even if that means being 'selfish' in your eyes.

That being said, I have accepted my offer (as of this afternoon), so no hard feelings! :)
    Ok so what was the point of your comment if you accepted your offer a couple of hours after?

Just seems like you were after a bit of attention or drama.

I am not going to entertain you any further. Jessica did a great job in expressing an alternative opinion which I accept to an extent. I do not wish to play devil's advocate with you, especially since you've accepted your TC offer, making this whole conversation pointless now.

Good luck.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ok so what was the point of your comment if you accepted your offer a couple of hours after?

I am not going to entertain you any further. Jessica did a great job in expressing an alternative opinion which I accept to an extent. I do not wish to play devil's advocate with you, especially since you've accepted your TC offer, making this whole conversation pointless now.
    We warned you sometime ago about your previous comments and accusations to other TCLA members. I will remind you again that this tone is not tolerated in the forums.

One of the major benefits of the forum is being able to sound off. Sometimes just posting something on the forum makes you realise things, but even more so if people do comment back and give their thoughts on the matter. You may not have seen it, but this conversation has also been had in other threads and in our Gold Members chat, and therefore, it is possible the person felt they had got the information they needed in a relatively short period of time to make a decision.

hopefullawyer101

Legendary Member
    Feb 25, 2021

Good luck.
    I really hope you have a good day and enjoy your TC! ;)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I am drafting my answer to "why law", I would like to include my first legal experience which I did not mention in my application for Simmons & Simmons (work experiences section). It was long time ago (2016) and that's why I did not mention it, is this ok?

Thank you in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker

I am drafting my answer to "why law", I would like to include my first legal experience which I did not mention in my application for Simmons & Simmons (work experiences section). It was long time ago (2016) and that's why I did not mention it, is this ok?

Thank you in advance
    Yes, not a problem at all.

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    When answering whether you worked throughout university in the contextual information part of applications, is it acceptable to say 'i worked or do work fewer than 16 hrs a week', if I only worked for a couple of terms? (this is in response to the question 'Do you regularly undertake paid work during university term time?')

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.