TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021
Thank you, @IzzyAn_na and @OB! I read over mine after @George Maxwell ’s reply to me and can definitely see room for improvement so I’ll edit mine but stick to the same topics generally.

I once heard them say they don’t mind NRF if properly defined at the start - so “…Norton Rose Fulbright (NRF) …” - but they dislike being referred to as Norton Rose and really bristle if Fulbright is spelled incorrectly, like with two l’s.

Hi @Veep9,

Firstly, I am really happy to hear that you found my reply useful 😇 and glad to hear that you are able to develop and make your application even stronger than last time!

Secondly, I always referred to the articles in Chambers Student (NRF's article is here), which are approved (by the firm) before publication. If a firm is referred to in a particular way in Chambers Student, for example, NRF in this case, then I took it as safe to do so in my application to that firm. I do agree though, I would not refer to NRF as Norton Rose. It might suggest that you were unaware of their merger with Fulbright & Jaworski in 2013.

Best of luck with the NRF application too. It is a fantastic firm!

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
Does anyone know if Latham & Watkin's SJT is given to those who have passed the application round or if it's automatically sent to everyone who applied?

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Does anyone know if Latham & Watkin's SJT is given to those who have passed the application round or if it's automatically sent to everyone who applied?

Literally my question haha!

Does anyone have any tips or info on the SJT?
Are you referring to the behavioral assessment? If so, it's automatic as I got issued mine within minutes of applying. It's not really the type of thing you can prepare for besides reading about the core competencies the firm is looking for.

Reactions: layk

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Just been invited to the Burges Salmon assessment centre :). Has anyone done this before or got any advice for the day?
Congratulations! 🥳

My top tip would be to read up on all the different stages of the assessment centre so you know exactly what you'll be asked to do on the day. Once you've done this, prepare accordingly and practice answers to three key questions: why you, why this firm and why commercial law. If you have solid, evidenced answers to these three questions then one can usually answer other questions with confidence too. And lastly, try to relax and enjoy the process on the day! It can be really high-pressure, but it's crucial to maintain your calm, focus on one stage at a time and not fixate on any mistakes/errors that you may make.

Let me know if you have any specific areas of the assessment centre that you require advice on and I'll be happy to provide my thoughts!

All the best!

Reactions: sakaesr99

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Are you referring to the behavioral assessment? If so, it's automatic as I got issued mine within minutes of applying. It's not really the type of thing you can prepare for besides reading about the core competencies the firm is looking for.
Ah thank you!

Do you know what type of questions they are? The email says "preference-type" questions. I have no clue what those are lol :S

sakaesr99

Star Member
Mar 30, 2021
Congratulations! 🥳

My top tip would be to read up on all the different stages of the assessment centre so you know exactly what you'll be asked to do on the day. Once you've done this, prepare accordingly and practice answers to three key questions: why you, why this firm and why commercial law. If you have solid, evidenced answers to these three questions then one can usually answer other questions with confidence too. And lastly, try to relax and enjoy the process on the day! It can be really high-pressure, but it's crucial to maintain your calm, focus on one stage at a time and not fixate on any mistakes/errors that you may make.

Let me know if you have any specific areas of the assessment centre that you require advice on and I'll be happy to provide my thoughts!

All the best!
Thanks so much for the reply and all the great tips, will do!

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Ah thank you!

Do you know what type of questions they are? The email says "preference-type" questions. I have no clue what those are lol :S
Just your standard multiple choice scenario questions ("you've been asked to be a part of a project..."), as well as preference questions ("I prefer to work alone/in groups").

Koinuuu

Oct 18, 2021
In my opinion, it’s probably going to be a rejection if we don’t hear anything by the end of the week 😅
I wouldn't be so sure honestly! Their application deadline has consistently been the 14th of October in the past, as it was this year, and some people in previous years have had AC invites as late as the 15th IIRC. I just follow a policy of no news is good news! 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: bibss
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.