TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hey guys, I had an AC with A&O yesterday I would give it a 7/10, (maybe 6.5). In the Case study presentation I spoke slightly quickly, but there was a lot to say to be honest. Also, I think I spoke slightly flat (a little monotone I guess). I think I covered most things, on one issue, he mentioned another way of doing it and to be honest it made more sense, so I was quite honest ... I said that hearing this made me change my view and why my view changed. Redacted post due to forum’s community rules - (TCLA moderator account). Be great to know you guys think of this response @Jessica Booker

In the second interview, it was standard competency/scenario questions. It went well-ish, I maybe some answers could have been structured and delivered better but not bad. Overall I did decently, I think it will be a close-run thing, if I had to guess I would say I will just miss out.

Does anyone know how long A&O takes to get back, how they normally get in touch?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 🤝
Reactions: ScrappyDoo and iamJW

thewaythecookiecrumbles

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 14, 2021
Just got my Clyde & Co VI.

Silly question but by working days do they mean that they're not counting Saturday and Sunday so I have until Monday to prepare?

Also, does anyone know how many seconds preparation and speaking time is given?

AspiringTrainee

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 22, 2021
    Just got my Clyde & Co VI.

Silly question but by working days do they mean that they're not counting Saturday and Sunday so I have until Monday to prepare?

Also, does anyone know how many seconds preparation and speaking time is given?
    I am not sure about Clyde & Co specifically, but with other firms, the working day does not include the weekend.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: thewaythecookiecrumbles

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    In questions where you need to talk about your proudest achievements can we mention not a general achievement but how our life turned out to be?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    In questions where you need to talk about your proudest achievements can we mention not a general achievement but how our life turned out to be?
    I think it's best to approach this question with a specific example, explaining why it's your proudest achievement, elaborating on the effort you put in toward it and how you overcame any obstacles that you may have faced along the way.

Reactions: S87

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Anyone else still waiting to hear post VI for Simmons? I did mine 3 weeks ago yesterday and haven't heard a peep

Mxkry

Legendary Member
    Oct 13, 2020
    oof just received a message from Slaughter and May that said I sent my Cover Letter with markings and comments on it and to resend it. When I checked to see which one I sent, it turns out I sent the completely wrong cover letter.....

On another note for those applying for the Winter Workshop, it looks like they are reviewing apps now.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Anyone else still waiting to hear post VI for Simmons? I did mine 3 weeks ago yesterday and haven't heard a peep
    5 weeks, heard nothing.

Yeah I did mine on the 26 October and nothing yet, nothing from Clyde either and I did that 3 weeks ago and I thought they were rolling
    Clydes says they’re holding ACs mid Nov and I don’t think anyone has heard so there’s hope yet.

• 🤝
    Reactions: JM1998 and OB

enjcorps

Nov 3, 2021
    Anyone heard from Linklaters today? Starting to lose hope…
    I think my application was one of, if not THE, very last to go through on the deadline...not heard anything from them yet. Don't know whether to take this as a rejection or keep holding out hope but I've read on here that a few people have received their offers to the AC or rejections so maybe it's just worth sitting on it for a bit longer and holding on hope?

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    For anyone applying to Slaughter & May, I did the written study test and partner interview with them last month and my CV was a full two pages which they obviously had no problem with at all.
    Thank you for that. May I ask how long they took to get back to you after the initial application?

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    oof just received a message from Slaughter and May that said I sent my Cover Letter with markings and comments on it and to resend it. When I checked to see which one I sent, it turns out I sent the completely wrong cover letter.....

On another note for those applying for the Winter Workshop, it looks like they are reviewing apps now.
    Pretty decent of them to ask you to resend. Remain hopeful!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, I had an AC with A&O yesterday I would give it a 7/10, (maybe 6.5). In the Case study presentation I spoke slightly quickly, but there was a lot to say to be honest. Also, I think I spoke slightly flat (a little monotone I guess). I think I covered most things, on one issue, he mentioned another way of doing it and to be honest it made more sense, so I was quite honest ... I said that hearing this made me change my view and why my view changed. (Edited for forum rules). Be great to know you guys think of this response @Jessica Booker

In the second interview, it was standard competency/scenario questions. It went well-ish, I maybe some answers could have been structured and delivered better but not bad. Overall I did decently, I think it will be a close-run thing, if I had to guess I would say I will just miss out.

Does anyone know how long A&O takes to get back, how they normally get in touch?
    Impossible for me to comment on as I don’t know what they were assessing. Sorry to be so unhelpful but it would be completely disingenuous for me to put my thoughts forward on how it went.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

This happens more often than people probably think.

I have had two recruiters from two different firms tell me they have seen applications with my track changes included it in!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.