TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
Jan 16, 2021
Anyone who is looking to apply for Gowling - I have just received an email from them which says that they currently have a high volume of candidates for the vacation scheme and so they encourage candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible, as the closing date for applications may be brought forward if necessary!
For some reason my account isn’t working now I’ve got the draft in my job page but there’s nothing for me to click to continue my app

hopefullylaw2000

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 11, 2020
Just to add on this, I recently had a successful AC with HSF and when the partner said how are you etc I straight up said “a bit nervous but okay apart from that!” and then half way through he could tell I was nervous and told me not to worry and that I was doing well. My point is, don’t worry if you can tell you’re coming across as nervous, they will completely understand!!
hi i was wondering how long it took to hear back from hsf post ac?

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Looking to apply to HSF and was thus wondering: does everyone receive the (SJT) online test? Or do you only receive it if you pass the application stage? If the former, what does the deadline look like? For instance, I believe A&O gives 48 days after submitting an application.

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Looking to apply to HSF and was thus wondering: does everyone receive the (SJT) online test? Or do you only receive it if you pass the application stage? If the former, what does the deadline look like? For instance, I believe A&O gives 48 days after submitting an application.
    it is automatic so it is included in the first stage and you get 5 days to complete it.

Reactions: Dwight

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    Rejected for Bristows IP workshop post VI 😩 I have to say none of my video interviews seem to have gone well lately. I follow basic VI tips but it's just hard to speak well when you have such a restricted timeframe
    have your answers planned and memorised and practice as much as you could and record yourself, these seemed to help me.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Rejected for Bristows IP workshop post VI 😩 I have to say none of my video interviews seem to have gone well lately. I follow basic VI tips but it's just hard to speak well when you have such a restricted timeframe
    Hi @KamKA, It's very commendable that you've identified what isn't working well for you in VIs- well done 👏

My best advice would be to practice maintaining an even tone when you're speaking so that you complete your answer well even if you feel like you need to rush. I'd also recommend practising with someone (friend, family, careers service- whatever works) so that they can help you identify and recover from any mistakes in your performance.

Try also writing down a couple points and what you'd like to say about them briefly- I find that writing my ideas down helps commit them to memory better.

Using a good structure will also help you restrict your answer to the timeframe. I'd suggest that you familiarise yourself with STAR/CAR if you haven't already.

Keep faith in the process- try to improve your performance based on the gaps you've done well to identify. And reach out to us here at the forum if you have any other questions/doubts about the application process so that we can support you to get to where you want to be 😇

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.