TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tariq Kioumji

Dec 27, 2020
This is my second cycle applying to vac schemes, and I feel like another route to securing a TC is by being a paralegal. Or at the very least, it would strengthen my applications. I'm finding it near impossible to even secure a paralegal role (I'm non-law graduate). So, I'm considering doing the SQEs online, whilst trying to find ad hoc legal internships/experience. Do you guys think if I do the SQEs online, it would reflect badly?

GXA123

Legendary Member
  • Nov 30, 2020
    This is my second cycle applying to vac schemes, and I feel like another route to securing a TC is by being a paralegal. Or at the very least, it would strengthen my applications. I'm finding it near impossible to even secure a paralegal role (I'm non-law graduate). So, I'm considering doing the SQEs online, whilst trying to find ad hoc legal internships/experience. Do you guys think if I do the SQEs online, it would reflect badly?
    doing the SQE online or in person doesn't make a difference because at the end of the day it depends on whether you pass the exam or not (as it is not a course). I also think that one possible reason of not securing a paralegal job is the lack of relevant experience (so try to work more on this before applying to these as you didn't do an LLB as well). This is just my opinion, I could be wrong. I hope you all the best.

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    Hi Tariq,

I'm happy to PM you about tips for securing these roles. I am also a non-law graduate so I know how you feel. It is competitive but it is definitely achievable. :)

With regard to the SQE, I don't think it would reflect badly if you decided to do it online but I am not too familiar with the process as I completed the GDL.

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

Tariq Kioumji

Dec 27, 2020
    Hi Tariq,

I'm happy to PM you about tips for securing these roles. I am also a non-law graduate so I know how you feel. It is competitive but it is definitely achievable. :)

With regard to the SQE, I don't think it would reflect badly if you decided to do it online but I am not too familiar with the process as I completed the GDL.
    That would be great :)

jamesfp

Nov 7, 2021
    It was actually fairly relaxed and straightforward! Approx 35 mins long and very conversational. The interviewers really put me at ease, and I had the opportunity to ask questions at the end. The written exercise was 75 mins and a little daunting, but not too bad once I'd absorbed the info.

Took a while for me to hear back after VI, so don't lose hope! You've got this!

Thank you so much for your answer and for this message! Really hope you get an offer soon :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: LongSufferingLawGrad

tc.la.vs

Esteemed Member
    Mar 1, 2021
    I’m not sure if they are still sending VI for the WVS, considering that the last ACs are apparently happening next week. But if you haven’t been rejected, there are still hopes for the WVS and the spring and summer too. Really hope you hear from them soon :)
    thanks for this, that's really kind of you! I'm hoping that maybe its because I ticked the boxes for both winter and spring schemes... not likely but oh well!! Hope your AC was fab and that you get it!!

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi everyone! I was wondering, when it comes to application forms with shorter word counts in the work experience section (75-100), should I still bother flagging the skills that I developed (“doing x developed my interpersonal skills”) or should I just briefly describe my role and leave GR to infer the rest?

Thank you in advance。
    Hi @I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs,

Firstly, this is one of the best names that I have seen on TCLA so far 😄.

Secondly, my approach was to outline one skill (or perhaps two), rather than trying to cover all bases in short applications. Being focused will make your application more engaging. I do not think there is a 'right' answer on this though!

Do let me know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! I was wondering, when it comes to application forms with shorter word counts in the work experience section (75-100), should I still bother flagging the skills that I developed (“doing x developed my interpersonal skills”) or should I just briefly describe my role and leave GR to infer the rest?

Thank you in advance。
    Still think your account name is the best on TCLA 🤣

I’d personally suggest showing as much variety of what you did/your responsibilities or outcomes/impact in the role, rather than skills. If you still have the word count, then you could talk about skills but 9 times out of 10 a recruiter can infer the skills

Reactions: AvniD

I.Like.UFOs.Not.PFOs

Esteemed Member
    Jan 6, 2021
    Still think your account name is the best on TCLA 🤣

I’d personally suggest showing as much variety of what you did/your responsibilities or outcomes/impact in the role, rather than skills. If you still have the word count, then you could talk about skills but 9 times out of 10 a recruiter can infer the skills
    I think my account name is now my most notable achievement 😂

And thank you so much for the advice, it’s given me a clear idea on how to approach this section!

• Haha
    Reactions: Jessica Booker

MN

Standard Member
    Nov 10, 2021
    Hi everyone!

Hope you are all well.

I am currently looking at the second question on the Allen and Overy application form for the Summer Vacation Scheme. The first question is:

'Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities'. (250 words).

The first question seems straightforward.

However, I am unsure how to interpret the second following question: ‘Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful'.

This is probably an obvious question, but I somewhat feel I am repeating a lot of what I have said in the first.

Many thanks for your help!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi everyone!

Hope you are all well.

I am currently looking at the second question on the Allen and Overy application form for the Summer Vacation Scheme. The first question is:

'Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities'. (250 words).

The first question seems straightforward.

However, I am unsure how to interpret the second following question: ‘Outline how you would apply these skills to the trainee role at A&O, in order to be successful'.

This is probably an obvious question, but I somewhat feel I am repeating a lot of what I have said in the first.

Many thanks for your help!
    I think you should mention something in the lines "my adaptable communication will allow me to address clients needs and further both their commercial and legal concerns"

Reactions: MN
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.