TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    Anyone who knows me knows I’ve been on this forum for a little time and I’ve had my fair share of disappointing outcomes. Although I’m over the moon to say I’ve secured a winter vac scheme with Simmons - it’s also worth adding that this was my first AC for a vac scheme and I know the general advice is to never expect good news bc it’s such a unique experience but this is your reminder that sometimes you can beat the odds ❤️❤️❤️

WillF

Star Member
    Jul 31, 2021
    Anyone who knows me knows I’ve been on this forum for a little time and I’ve had my fair share of disappointing outcomes. Although I’m over the moon to say I’ve secured a winter vac scheme with Simmons - it’s also worth adding that this was my first AC for a vac scheme and I know the general advice is to never expect good news bc it’s such a unique experience but this is your reminder that sometimes you can beat the odds ❤️❤️❤️
    Huge congratulations - well done!

Bugsy Malone

Legendary Member
    Commercial Writer
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 24, 2018
    So happy for you!! Well done! ❤️❤️

Reactions: LS12

Cantab_95

Legendary Member
    Sep 19, 2019
    @Jessica Booker correct me if I’m wrong, but I read a post from you earlier saying something along the lines that it was a strange time to be in graduate recruitment and that applications had fallen. Is this really the case? Fewer applicants would be music to my ears

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Incredible stuff, congratulations!!

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Happy for you! So they are handing out WS?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Amazing news - but you didn’t beat the odds though! You have worked hard to get where you are! Congratulations and hope you have a fab time with the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker correct me if I’m wrong, but I read a post from you earlier saying something along the lines that it was a strange time to be in graduate recruitment and that applications had fallen. Is this really the case? Fewer applicants would be music to my ears
    Firms are reporting lower application numbers generally. It isn’t just specific to law though - it’s also across other industries too.

There are a few reasons for this. People who were on 4 year courses (industrial placements/year abroads in 2020/21) generally cut their degrees short by a year in 2020, meaning there are fewer applicants coming into their final year this year.

General attitudes on campus seem to be many students are completely opting out of careers events where they are focusing on having a university experience, where they haven’t for the last 20 months. Enjoying living on campus and enjoying a proper “campus experience” seems to be many students’ preferences, especially those who haven’t really experienced it before (eg second years).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Interesting, is this the first slump in a while? I imagine in previous years applications would go up with each cycle rather than down. But that does make a lot of sense!
    It fluctuates from time to time - law gets less popular at certain times. Application numbers have generally gone upwards but there are years where they have dropped previously.

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Congratulations! That's amazing to hear and has given me hope that I can secure a vac scheme this year!

GOI983

Esteemed Member
    Sep 15, 2021
    WOW! Congrats man!

• Love
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.