TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It was in an application question. They said why this office so I was wondering what the reasoning is behind that and what they expect us to say?
They expect you to choose the location you’ll be able to commit to long term - even if it is a vacation scheme, they want to see your commitment to that location because most firms only recruit vacation scheme students to then convert them into trainees.

With some regional firms/locations, too many applicants try to game the system. They think that if they apply to the location they think is least popular, they hope it improves their chances of getting a job offer, and then they try to use the system to move to their preferred location which they think might be more competitive. So firms ask these questions to try and preempt that process and select the people that are truly motivated to live/work in that location.

Reactions: Slawrelated

ltt_12

Star Member
Oct 21, 2021
for the 'why the firm' section in my cover letter for e.g. NRF, what sorts of things are typically looked upon well to write about (are references to high profile deals looked at favourably)? thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for the 'why the firm' section in my cover letter for e.g. NRF, what sorts of things are typically looked upon well to write about (are references to high profile deals looked at favourably)? thanks!
Deal dropping only works if it is relevant to you and your application. In short, if you are deal dropping to try and impress in the cover letter - don’t do it. If it is tangible evidence that has influenced your motivation, then deal drop but explain why that is the case.

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
Is there a trick to answering questions like "What are your main spare time interests?" -- am I supposed to talk about how my skills relate back to the qualities the firm is looking for? My spare time interests don't really involve any 'position of responsibility or anything like that, e.g I was going to talk about art/painting but it doesn't make me very sellable

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there a trick to answering questions like "What are your main spare time interests?" -- am I supposed to talk about how my skills relate back to the qualities the firm is looking for? My spare time interests don't really involve any 'position of responsibility or anything like that, e.g I was going to talk about art/painting but it doesn't make me very sellable
There is no need to link it back to skills the firm is looking for - they would have asked this if it was something they wanted.

Do you have any extra curricular activities outside of art/painting?

gg332dd

Valued Member
Apr 2, 2020
There is no need to link it back to skills the firm is looking for - they would have asked this if it was something they wanted.

Do you have any extra curricular activities outside of art/painting?

I used to volunteer at this charity twice a week but now work full time so no longer doing this, so not sure if appropriate to mention it. Other than that, I do some bouldering, hiking etc. -- but its nothing sellable like being a team captain haha

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I used to volunteer at this charity twice a week but now work full time so no longer doing this, so not sure if appropriate to mention it. Other than that, I do some bouldering, hiking etc. -- but its nothing sellable like being a team captain haha
Yes - that should be mentioned. It doesn’t need to be a team captain - just any evidence of effort/time/energy dedicated to matters that you will not just benefit from ware things to include.

KSI

Apr 30, 2021
OMG did anyone else apply to Taylor Wessing? I am panicking because I am just logging into the application portal and saw the status on my app which says 'Invited to GBA' however I searched everywhere and saw no email or any communications whatsoever from Grad rec regarding any invitation to this. Should I email Grad rec?

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Does anybody have advice for how to do better on the assumptions and inferences part of the WG? The internet is giving me general advice for the whole test but i think these two sections specifically I struggle with.
I have given some of my thoughts on this in this thread: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/watson-glaser-hints-and-tips.4328/

I agree that the inferences part of the WG can be quite ambiguous at times! Practice is really the key to feeling more comfortable with the Watson Glaser test.

Reactions: AvniD

ZaraB

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 13, 2020
OMG did anyone else apply to Taylor Wessing? I am panicking because I am just logging into the application portal and saw the status on my app which says 'Invited to GBA' however I searched everywhere and saw no email or any communications whatsoever from Grad rec regarding any invitation to this. Should I email Grad rec?
Hiya! You should have gotten an email from the test provider - last year when i applied i remember i didn’t get a confirmation from grad rec but i did get a link from the test provider forwarded to my email

Reactions: jungkook

John Travoni

Legendary Member
Jan 14, 2021
@Jessica Booker I could really use your help on this question.
How would you answer this question -Based on an activity that you do everyday, what technological advances would you add to it make it more efficient?

I’m really stuck on this one. Any help would be really appreciated.

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
Apr 27, 2021
I've read that Simmons & Simmons' AC includes an inbox exercise, case study exercise and competency interview. Am I correct in thinking this suggests there won't be the typical why Simmons, why law, etc. questions?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I've read that Simmons & Simmons' AC includes an inbox exercise, case study exercise and competency interview. Am I correct in thinking this suggests there won't be the typical why Simmons, why law, etc. questions?
A competency interview could include those type of questions.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I could really use your help on this question.
How would you answer this question -Based on an activity that you do everyday, what technological advances would you add to it make it more efficient?

I’m really stuck on this one. Any help would be really appreciated.
I wouldn’t overthink the question. It’s just trying to assess your innovative thinking without you having to have a previous example/evidence of this.

Just think of any activity people do day to day and think about how that could be improved (saves time or energy/makes something more enjoyable etc) with the use of technology. I’d just check there isn’t something already in the market that is your idea.

Reactions: AvniD

OreoShake

Star Member
  • Sep 12, 2021
    I just checked my portal and it says the same thing. And I've never received an email... maybe I should email grad rec tomorrow morning.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.