TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Guys for the DLA Piper application question is it okay to talk about a merger or acquisition that has been done or should I talk about a merger or acquisition which is going to be finalised soon.
I guess both are ok as long as you can tie the deals you're mentioning back to your motivations for wanting to apply to the firm!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone know how to word a thank you email to a law firm after an interview? I'm emailing the graduate recruitment team with my reference details (they haven't asked but i didn't have them at time of application) but since this will be first communication since my interview, I think I should probs start of by saying thanks for your time. I don't want to screw this email up as this may influence their decision
Try to keep it to the point, while being polite but not too eager. Thank them for the experience of interviewing with the firm, mentioning anything that you appreciated/stood out to you about the process and providing the details they've asked for.

GOI983

Esteemed Member
Sep 15, 2021
Thank you for this! Are there any practice tests you feel would help? I've done a few verbal reasoning ones
Funnily enough, I failed the HSF test for their mentoring scheme towards the end of August, but passed this time. I watched a few YouTube videos on Watson glasers in general, did a practice on graduates first which was way harder than the real thing, also practiced Clifford Chance's version which was reasonable. Furthermore, I took two mini practice HSF tests on their website, to get me used to the style (one was a quiz and the other a practice test I believed they recommended in the email, I will link both the practice test and quiz below). The good thing about HSF's verbal reasoning section is that possible answers are either "true, cannot say or false" unlike official watson glasers where you are given five options. Also, the verbal reasoning section is at the end of the test, so make sure you accurately speed through the initial two sections, to give yourself enough time for that important section. Obviously, that does not mean select random answers for the SJT and values section though. Look up their key competencies and keep them in mind when doing the values section, and be yourself. For the SJT section try to select what you believe the best options to be.

Reactions: anon123456789

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone know how to word a thank you email to a law firm after an interview? I'm emailing the graduate recruitment team with my reference details (they haven't asked but i didn't have them at time of application) but since this will be first communication since my interview, I think I should probs start of by saying thanks for your time. I don't want to screw this email up as this may influence their decision
Just keep it short and to the point! You can’t really go wrong with a thank you if you keep it to the point.

lila122

Star Member
Jul 29, 2021
Try to keep it to the point, while being polite but not too eager. Thank them for the experience of interviewing with the firm, mentioning anything that you appreciated/stood out to you about the process and providing the details they've asked for.
thank you. They haven’t asked for these details, i just left out this info on the application form, is it still worth sending ?

anxiouslawyer

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 26, 2021
Applied for Hogan Lovells summer vac 3 weeks ago and heard nothing yet (no WG link or anything), do they only send those out after the deadline?

Same with Bird and Bird, been more than 2 weeks since I did the WG test.

m2001

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 24, 2021
For the A&O question: Please describe the key learnings/skills you’ve gained through work experience, positions of responsibility, personal experience or extracurricular activities (250 words). How many skills would people recommend doing? Is it best to apply specific examples using STAR type structure or write very briefly about 3/4 skills and more descriptive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.