TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M777

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 15, 2019
Don’t people think this is ridiculous in a way? Like I understand you may not offer more interviews, but why can’t you read the applications and either say now that winter if full but your app is good so we can consider you for summer, or just reject right out?

Simply saying you’re not holding interviews and ask people to apply in summer is ewww.. what do people think?
Especially considering they want us to resubmit an entire new application from scratch!

Reactions: ellwilsen

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Don’t people think this is ridiculous in a way? Like I understand you may not offer more interviews, but why can’t you read the applications and either say now that winter if full but your app is good so we can consider you for summer, or just reject right out?

Simply saying you’re not holding interviews and ask people to apply in summer is ewww.. what do people think?
    I agree to some degree but according to their Instagram video they did read everyone’s applications regardless of when you applied. Moreover, giving us the chance to reflect on our applications and having more time to perfect it/add to it is actually quite a nice thing to do as many firms don’t let you apply to more than one scheme in the same cycle. I’m sure you could apply with your same cover letter etc but I know mine could be thoroughly improved so I’m pleased for a second chance! It’s good to look at the silver lining sometimes even in this horrible process! :D

Reactions: GOI983 and ps123

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2020

I get where you're coming from but I suspect it's something technical (i.e. they're unable to "move" applications from one scheme to another so they're asking candidates instead to apply for the position again).

Reactions: shadow-demon

rose0904

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 6, 2021
    For work experience with a word limit of 150, should you just stick to talking about your duties/responsibilities or talk about skills it's given you? E.g., should I write that I serve customers etc which helps with my communication or just stick to explaining the serving?

miniboucher

Standard Member
    Nov 15, 2021
    Is it important to demonstrate an interest in shipping law when interviewing at Stephenson Harwood? Worried that because I know nothing about it I won't be strong candidate as other people may be really passionate about their speciality area - advice please :)

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Please could anyone shed light on Travers' PFO email:

"We are sorry to inform you that we will not be holding any further interviews. We realise how disappointing this is but we have experienced a higher volume of applications than usual and are unable to interview everyone who has applied. Unfortunately, due to this volume we are also unable to provide feedback at this stage.

If the firm is still of interest, please visit our website for further information about applying for the Summer Vacation Schemes next year.

Once again, please do accept our sincere apologies for the delay you have experienced. We would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for the interest you have shown in Travers Smith."

Is this an outright PFO- do I need to wait until next cycle to re-apply? Or is it telling me to do another application from scratch for this cycle's SVS as they couldn't read my WVS app?
    I would e-mail them to clarify, but considering that some firms will carry people's applications over from winter until summer if they have too many winter applications, I would not be surprised if this means that you are still allowed to apply for the summer vacation schemes within this cycle.

Reactions: M777

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Is it important to demonstrate an interest in shipping law when interviewing at Stephenson Harwood? Worried that because I know nothing about it I won't be strong candidate as other people may be really passionate about their speciality area - advice please :)
    From their website-

Particular areas of strength include:
    • Commercial litigation
    • Corporate
    • Employment, pensions and private wealth
    • Finance
    • Marine and international trade
    • Real estate and projects
    Shipping is just *one* of their areas of strength, and one of their many areas of sector expertise. I think you should be just fine talking about the areas that genuinely interest you while being generally aware of their work in sectors of strength 😊

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey, Would anyone who has applied to Hogan Lovells mind telling me how long it took them to receive a Watson Glaser? I applied on Sunday and still haven't received one.
    @Jessica Booker Do you think enough time has passed for me to email the firm. (I have received a confirmation from Vantage, but not one from Hogan Lovells directly)
    Honestly, no - it’s only Wednesday. I’d follow up middle part of next week if you haven’t heard by then.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Please could anyone shed light on Travers' PFO email:

"We are sorry to inform you that we will not be holding any further interviews. We realise how disappointing this is but we have experienced a higher volume of applications than usual and are unable to interview everyone who has applied. Unfortunately, due to this volume we are also unable to provide feedback at this stage.

If the firm is still of interest, please visit our website for further information about applying for the Summer Vacation Schemes next year.

Once again, please do accept our sincere apologies for the delay you have experienced. We would also like to take the opportunity to thank you for the interest you have shown in Travers Smith."

Is this an outright PFO- do I need to wait until next cycle to re-apply? Or is it telling me to do another application from scratch for this cycle's SVS as they couldn't read my WVS app?
    It’s an outright PFO unfortunately, just an exceptionally apologetic one. It seems to suggest you can apply for a summer scheme - although the “next year” suggests you could only apply in 2022 (not sure when applications open/close).

Reactions: M777

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Davis Polk Open Day (evening) invite! :D not exactly a vac but they're sending us something in the post...wonder what it could be
    Congratulations! Probably a little goody pack of merch and a few treats to keep your sugar levels up for the day. Many firms send these packs as it’s the stuff they would have given you if you were doing the event in person.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.