TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Has anyone contacted Bird and Bird's Grad Rec to find out when we'll hear outcomes from the WG for the Spring Vac Scheme? Over 3 weeks and counting to find out about an online test result is verging on ludicrous, especially when the email stated that we should expect to hear 'shortly afterwards'.
    Lol I did my Bird & Bird WG over two months ago and was told to be patient a month ago ... the reply also said "You will be notified if your application has been unsuccessful or receive an email regarding the next stage of the application soon." which sounds a bit negative putting unsuccessful first hahaha

Haven't heard of many VI invites though and no AC invites yet so guess they might just have a hold up in their team

freya___

Dec 11, 2021
    I'm pretty new to all of this but I wondered if anyone had any advice/insight to give? I'm an undergraduate medical student but I've been considering a career in the commercial law for some time. It's the first year I've decided to submit any vac scheme applications but 'm really struggling to get past the initial application screening stage. I've received rejections from all the firms I've applied to so far all at the application/SJT stage. I haven't completed any legal work placements or insight days but lots of voluntary/medical related work experience. I'm wondering if being a medical student is putting off graduate recruiters because I haven't shown very longstanding commitment/interest in commercial law. I've been trying to develop my commercial awareness but I just wondered how recruiters look at students making such radical career changes or if there was anything people would recommend to really demonstrate a commitment or interest in this very competitive sector!

Reactions: Zodiac1981

Zodiac1981

Standard Member
  • Dec 7, 2020
    I'm pretty new to all of this but I wondered if anyone had any advice/insight to give? I'm an undergraduate medical student but I've been considering a career in the commercial law for some time. It's the first year I've decided to submit any vac scheme applications but 'm really struggling to get past the initial application screening stage. I've received rejections from all the firms I've applied to so far all at the application/SJT stage. I haven't completed any legal work placements or insight days but lots of voluntary/medical related work experience. I'm wondering if being a medical student is putting off graduate recruiters because I haven't shown very longstanding commitment/interest in commercial law. I've been trying to develop my commercial awareness but I just wondered how recruiters look at students making such radical career changes or if there was anything people would recommend to really demonstrate a commitment or interest in this very competitive sector!
    Don't

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Lol I did my Bird & Bird WG over two months ago and was told to be patient a month ago ... the reply also said "You will be notified if your application has been unsuccessful or receive an email regarding the next stage of the application soon." which sounds a bit negative putting unsuccessful first hahaha

Haven't heard of many VI invites though and no AC invites yet so guess they might just have a hold up in their team
    I received an VI invite over a month ago and completed it on the 17 November but still haven’t heard back as to whether I’ve got through to the AC or not.

SebKru10

Star Member
    Apr 15, 2021
    Has anyone had VI with Baker McKenzie this cycle? In the e-mail, they say it's three questions in total but there's no information concerning the time we're given for preparation and answers. Any information would be appreciated! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: djqb
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.